Old 11-16-2006   #1
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Black canyon experts

So several people have broken their ankles on the right line at the 18ft waterfall, yet I know another person who has penciled it and not hit a thing. Where is the rock? Can you describe the landing? What is the lowest flow it should be run?

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #2
Just boof you pansy.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #3
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Yep.... never run it but it sounds like a boof is warranted ......Do you plan on testing the Rocker bulkhead again Joe?........Why are you asking a question like that??? The question you should be asking is what's the biggest drop in the East Vail Chutes......or if I throw a Jelly Roll off Bachelors Saddle can I still pull off an inverted stale fish mute grab before I touch down?? Or does the October Hole run in November?
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #4
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
you should just portage it. There is a trial on top of the rim, its buffed out and even has some nice overlooks to stop at.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #5
Redcliff, Colorado
I believe the rock is in the right 2/3 of the pile. I too have seen a couple pencil runs w/out piton... as I remember these guys landed in the less aerated water at the left of the pile. Probably the result of the teeter-totter effect of the rock at the left side of the lip. I don't really trust that landing under about 800.

cebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #6
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981

Bottom line -- don't run the river right lines. It is obvious that the LZ is a boulder field. Why anyone wants to risk obvious and probable injury is pretty rediculous. I'm sure that numerous a boof has been survived there now that extreme kayaking has attracted increasing numbers there. It seems rather pointless though. An injury in the bottom of the Black is a major inconvienance, endangerment, and potential expense to many people.

When Jason Kreager, Boe Freeburn and I first ran it in '89 or '90(?) we used the name "Let's make a deal Falls". After having listened to the wonderous stories around the campfires told by Tom Nofzinger, Steve Morgan, and Todd Hebblewhite (early '80s BC vets), we were excited to finally tackle the Black. It is an incredible expedition style trip right in our own state. However, the three of us had no trouble agreeing that the right side of that falls was the wrong side. The left (second channel) is clean. I hope that the many adventerous boaters seeking this magnificent place will respect the remoteness of it. Be safe down there.
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #7
no BC expert, but...

I've witnessed a shattered ankle on the middle chute (main line). Same line as pictured here.

The boater was took a leftie when she needed to take a righty. The rock is very obvious with spray coming off it. It's about 2.5 feet deep. As long as you're pointed left, you can dive deep. Boofing out is best, though. If you're really concerned, just cannonball yourself off the left side into the pool below and have someone lower your boat to you. Just don't swim into the sieve in the runout. Whatever you do, do not break an ankle in there. I speak from experience that it's a bad situation to deal with in there.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #8
ItÂ’s a bit of an enigma. My wife ramped up on the left side, but got too much rock and her boat pivoted 90 degrees as she went off. I watched in horror as she fell off bow vertical and pointed right with no speed. For sure we were going to be carrying her out. Actually she hit nothing. I think the rock must have a small surface area and your either lucky or not. Bottom line, if you're not 100% sure of your boof you shouldn't run it. You shouldn't even think of pennciling as an option. I've run it as low as about 500cfs successfully, but it took some serious flight control. My boat almost stopped on the lip.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #9
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Thanks Elwood

Hey, Elwood. Your comment on an injury and the link to the picture is much appreciated. The channel to the left in that picture is the recommended line. I'm really glad the topic came up on the buzz. The BC is not the place to want injuries to happen. Of course, they can happen anywhere through canyon. Let it be known, though, that the right side of this fall can be an ankle breaker. I've never heard of any injuries ever occuring in the second from the left channel, though. It is a sweet and enjoyable drop. The falls do not require portaging. The falls are runnable cleanly. Relish the moment. It is a bit like having your desert before your meal. The arguous portage begins shortly after.
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'm with Kyle on this one Joe.

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon