Old 05-27-2005   #1
Black Canyon Beta

I'm thinking about a trip June 3-5 and am looking for info-- right now my computer won't let me on AW's page, but does anyone know of anything more descriptive than CRC2's page? Are the walks easy to recognize? Are permits hard to come by? Is the poison-ivy year round? How cold is it @ night down there- sleeping bag -vs- blanket? Is taking out @ the end of the hard stuff worthwhile, or just cruise the easy stretch afterwards?
Gracias in advance for anyone who can help enlighten me.
-Carter @ 303-345-3823

cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #2
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
....i used to know what was up with that section.....after a "mentally taxing" run last week, i sought the help of professionals!....after hours of hypnosis and the like i can't remember a thing about the PLACE...looking thru paper scaps and old permits does nothing for my memory.....i asked a buddy and he said that there are portages, big drops and little drops....something about a bush down there....ummm....tamarisk, maybe?.....he also mumbled something about some sketchy places...? maybe some thugs or something that like to hang out at the put-in? i'm not can't be that bad as it is located in montrose(i think)....i can't get over how much fun roller-blading is....nothing like strapping on elbow pads(seems i used to do this before for some reason, but i can't remember!) knee pads, hip-sack and cammel back and hittin the concrete trail!!!!...oh, the freedom one gets...cinch down that helmet strap and just go and go! it is fun to hold hands with your girl and try not to crash.....gosh, it just doesn't get any better than that!!!! sorry i can't help out more with the river rollerblades?

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
and people wonder why the crested butte creeks never get cleaned out.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #4
I highly recommend that you go with someone familiar with the run on your first trip down. If you cannot make that happen then take your time and scout everything you can't see. Don't get swept around blind corners. I prefer to float all the way to the pleasure park. I hate hiking uphill with my boat (although I seem to be doing a lot of that lately.) But why miss the Gunny Gorge? It's beautiful. The poison ivy is brutal if you are sensitive to it. The Black also has lots of sieves, logs, undercuts, wasps, ticks, portages and some of the most spectacular boating anywhere. I bring a bivy sack and a fleece bag liner to sleep if its warm. Count on it raining. Permits are just a formality and just a matter of stopping by the ranger station and filling out the form. I like to do the run later in the season when everything else is dried up and I am in good paddleing shape.

Have fun. Be careful.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #5
For the most part, the only really bad drop that you could easily get swept into is the first one. It comes at a sharp right bend about 2 miles or so after launching. Most of the other stuff is pool drop so you can get a good sence of when to scout (if you have that sence). If something feels real big at the lip, it is probably a portage. All but about two portages (plus part of the big portage) are on right. The big protage is what you need a guide for. If you skrew up, it could take you half the day. I wouldn't say that you would have to have a guide for this run, but be prepared for a full on adventure. It ain't Disny Land down there. If your not use to remote canyon expadition style boating, you may want a guide.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005   #6
ski/kayak bum
YOu should bring your blades out here. Skating for hours along the beach is an adrenaline rush that noone should miss (on the same level as surfing and almost as cool as playboating). The breeze in your hair and your wrist gaurds pressing firmly against your lady's is a real bonding experience. My long top of the line race skates impress the ladies. My neighbor is following my lead and selling his ferrari so that he can concentrate on his form when cruising to work. WE HAVE MATCHING JERSEYS AND SPANDEX!!! Any sponsors want to support our team? We are the cutting edge of extreme sports. We even have a "skateby" in the next episode of The OC.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005   #7
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Fruit-booters ...
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #8
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so, is there anywhere to find out release schedule - like will it be up in the 7 or 800 range again?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #9
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
steamboat skating

a a ron
We've got some sweeeeeet skating right here in Steamboat too, right along the river. You can watch all the tubers run the rapids as you get your workout!!!!!!

see you on the bike path!!!!

dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005   #10
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.....BEEP.....BEEP.....BEEP...this just in.....B. of REC. has released info to leroy at pleasure of last week, the MONTROSE BOX will not see the promised 600+ cfs releases all summer....heat and drought has taken its toll.....leroy is calling me on monday with the head honcho's # out in pheonix, is one dam in the equation of dams.....hoover and glen canyon zones are in the eq.....playboats and extra portages will be the call.....look for fall releases as ususal......merry prankster may know more....500+ is still "ok"....but border-line-super-sketch.....under 500 and i'd pursue expedition-style-self-supported-sketch-tubin'....(tube 1 and tube copy that?).....playboat and multisporting opportunites still exist!.....BEEP.... BEEP.....

milo is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon