Old 06-19-2008   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Black Boxes-Maybe...

For those of you interested in the Black Boxes you might want to start watching the gauge. Its 300 now, low flow for the Little Grand Canyon section, but climbing bout 50 a day.Most the reservoirs in the Wasatch Plateau are spilling or will be soon. Most importantly Joes Valley reservoir is 99% and the inflow is over 600cfs. Should be full in the next couple days. We ran Left Fork of the Huntington last weekend and its flow seems to be holding. Possibly by this weekend or early next week the Little Grand Canyon, Black Boxes, Cottonwood Canyon-(Straight Canyon), and The LFH could be at low to medium flows making a trip to the region pretty worthy. All these runs are with in about an hour of each other.LFH has 4 wood portages and 4 semi sketchy wood moves as of Saturday.

Tea cups for Joes Valley

Tea cups and flows for LFH

Hopefully we can get a weekend or two of solid flows but don't start driving till you see it on the gauge.

Upper Provo Falls and both Slate Gorges are running as well but will probably drop soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00022.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	549  

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #2
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
what caused the sudden inflow a couple of days ago. Did some of the dams start to let go? I have been watchin' this one pretty close.
Thanks for the beta and update.

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
sweet man, thanks for the update!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah

I think the increased flows are a direct result of the reservoirs in the Huntington drainage spilling. The day we ran it we sat and watched the Miller Flat reservoir spill. There is still a far amount of snow up there. Probably good for another week or so. One last hazard I forgot to mention on the LFH is that if you go in there on any other trib than Miller Flat there is a man eating sieve just above the confluence with Miller Flat-(where the 10ft water fall is) Its around a blind stretch and doesnít have any eddies in the 200ft before it.Take a good look at a gazetter and you'll see where I'm talking bout if you haven't already been in there.

Iíll update if I make it down there.

smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote