Old 01-12-2009   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bitchithane removal

Yo Buzzards. Trying to clean off some bitchithane off a cracked boat to try some off season welding repair. Getting bitchithane off once its been applied is a BITCH!

I tried scraping it off with some razor blades, got some of it off, but lots is still left. I'm thinking about heating a bit with a hair dryer to get the bitchithane tar loose, and then using a solvent to help dissolve it and wipe it off.

Any ideas on what would be a good solvent to use that wouldn't put another hole in my creekboat or screw up the plastic?

I'm doing some offseason work to get my personal armada of cracked creekers mank worthy.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
try heating it up then use a butter knife to try and pull it up, it can be difficult to get of sometimes. If you do use a sharp knife be very careful because you could create a deep cut that could develop into a crack later.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #3
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
an hour and a half of scraping with a butter knife and a six pack of beer works fairly well
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #4
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
put some charcoal lighter fluid on a rag and start wiping. lighter fluid should dissolve the tar. btw its spelled bituthene. like bituminous means something that contains bitumen.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #5
Boulder, Colorado
yeah, but if you're not trying to buy it at the lumber yard, bitchithane looks cooler.
I guess "mineral spirits" is related to lighter fluid and would dissolve it as well.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #6
The next zone, .
A high speed drill and sanding disk works well and is easy.....
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Most hardware stores have plastic bristle drill brushes that could work. They are what many people use to remove old glue from rafts w/o doing much damage to the hypalon. The wire bristle brushes work too, but for the hypalon they are more destructive than is needed, and they have a tendency to not be as even as the plastic brushes.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Butter knives, beer, drills, and a spelling lesson. Thanks folks.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #9
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm not certain you want to put mineral spirits on your kayak anyway. Heating it will drive it further into the smallest cracks. Like hot asphalt gets gooey or driveway sealer. I wonder if leaving it outside overnight and then taking the butter knife to it would work? Asphalt gets brittle when cold, it also contracts (potentially out of cracks and scratches.

Anywho, make sure both sides of the crack are drilled to prevent further cracking. try your weld job, and/or just do like you should, put the bituthane on the inside where the plastic should be somewhat smooth. If you didn't try the weld job, the boat will still not leak in that spot. Besides, the boat has cracked so just use it till it breaks or you can't stand it and get another.
wirednut14er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
A seven inch angle grinder with a flap
Wheel get a lot of it but can spray it around and make a giant mess too. I'll
Scrape the loose stuff with a flat razor then apply more on the sticky remnants. Multiple layers sliced and heated around the bow can almost look like an d Pyranha nose cone if done right.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote