Old 05-16-2012   #1
longmont, Colorado
Bimini to rent or borrow in boulder area?

Wondering if anyone is willing to trade beer or $ to let me use their 6' Bimini shade may 28- June 2.

I tried to purchase a river sombrero, but they are out of my size and BOC doesn't have what I need either. Width in the range of 55-66".

burros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #2
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Hmmm....Biminis for boats...where might one find a bimini for a boat...

If only there was a way to compile a list of companies that make and sell biminis for boats....

Maybe here??

Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #3
TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
I bought mine off amazon last summer for like $80, I think. From what I can tell, they are the same things sombrero really was selling for $300... In fact I bought my mounting kit from river sombrero and the amazon Bimini mounted perfectly to it. Bought 4 9' loop straps for easy adjustment.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #4
longmont, Colorado
Yeah, I know there are plenty out there on ebay, but they are 10" shorter than RS in my width, so once they get them in I'll pick one up for later trips.

Heading to the San Juan with 2 kids.....I know it's a long-shot, but what are friends for- borrowing shit and trading $, I think.
burros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #5
Paddling Since: 2002
i say go for the ebay ones. i have buddy who has one one his rig... after seeing his i would never buy a sombrero... my 2 cents

4 Bow Bimini Pontoon Deck Boat Cover Top 91-96" Grey 8' FT Includes Hardware | eBay

obviously there are other legnths and widths, but with some research you can find one that will work
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #6
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I should know better than to wade into this, but the boating community as a whole seems to care about things beyond just getting the cheapest deal. So here goes...

The imported bimini's are cheap - considerably less expensive actually than my wholesale cost on US made bimini's. The cheap ones still need to be made, shipped, and distributed, so there are corners being cut somewhere, whether in materials and design or human costs. While they look shiny and have similar dimensions, there are some differences that are obvious - 8-10" shorter so you can't stand up under them on your raft, the fabric is definitely inferior, the mount point for the #2 pole is in a different spot which affects oar clearance, and the hardware is cheap and brittle. Good luck getting service and support.

River Sombreros are US made, including the fabrics. I'm proud that the extra $$ are not only going into quality and service I can stand behind (and do), but to support jobs and families in the US, including what's left of our textile industry. We talk a lot about jobs in this country and which president or party is at fault, but really it's a lot of small choices we all make that support an industry here vs sending our business overseas. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Mountain Buzz Sponsor
jeffvdgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #7
West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Big cheers to River Sombrero, everyone we know loves theirs and says it's worth it! We are saving up to purchase our first Sombrero to keep our new baby shady on the river this summer
rrb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #8
Thumbs up for River Sombrero

We have a River Sombrero -- it's been great. Has taken some unanticipated bumps and knocks, still works just fine.

Swapped out the strap clips for more user-friendly clips. Beyond that, simple and easy.

Asked a lot of questions when going through the purchase process, received excellent service. Highly recommend the River Sombrero folks.
dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #9
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I am sure the quality and service is great, but come on 3x the price for 8' bimini?
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #10
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I am sure the quality and service is great, but come on 3x the price for 8' bimini?
I've seen the other bimini tops in person; in my opinion, they do not stack up, in particular with respect to the fabric. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.

Having used it on seven trips now, I feel as though it's been a good value.

To each his or her own.

dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote