Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-23-2006   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Bill in congress could threaten access to filter plant run

Some of you are probably aware by now that Congress is considering a proposal to sell off 300000 acres of federal lands to fund the "Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act." Congress has been portraying these lands as being worthless chopped up bits of land that no one cares about in order to drum up support passing the bill. However, this is not true. The Sierra club just overlaid outlines of all of these parcels on Google Earth. I've just briefly panned around on it, and there are a few definate riverside parcels up for grabs.

Here are the ones I've noticed

Filterplant run Cache La Poudre - a 140 acre parcel straddles both both banks of the river, shortly downstream of the standard putin, and is adjoined by other sizable parcels also for sale. Parcel reference: co6T0080N0700W

Foxton: One large 220 acre parcel threatens a putin area to the foxton run above the boulder gardens right at the start of the canyon. Parcel reference: co6T0070S0700W

Big thompson - There are several parcels spanning the creek shortly below the dam at estes park. Not sure what run this is, if it is one, but I've driven though there a few times and remember wondering about it.

Boulder falls on the north fork - It's not a "run" unless someone gonzo is into super gnar, but definately a popular area. The are a bunch of bits and pieces between old mining claims located here to be sold. Selling off the bits and peices would potentially allow a developer to consolidate existing private lands and enable developement. Com'on, the falls would look awesome with a 5000 sqft trophy home next to it, right?

There are also some other non-river parcels that could definately prove high profile. I've noticed a number of large parcels, roughly quarter sections (160 acres) which are directly on roads, including one in allenspark, which would likely result in new subdivisions. Most of the lands in colorado up for grabs seem to be in the front range foot hills.

It's time we get together and fight this thing. In this state, its easy to picture some @&$#! developer buying one of these parcels, and then try claiming ownership of the river. The last thing we need to deal with is another Sportsman's Paradise on some of our more popular runs. American whitewater has an annoucment on their web page with the contact info for comments. Form letters won't do it anymore because the government doesn't care what you think about it (i.e. form letters as a guage of public outrage). Instead, they are moving towards only evaluating "substantive comments", i.e. unique ones. So to make yours unique, directly reference the parcels above, as well as any others you find on google earth (Google Earth really cool by the way).

benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #2
Thanks for posting this information, the sale of our public lands to address a short-term financial problem (or, more likely, to line the pockets of a few wealthy interest groups) should concern us all. I have sent in my comments and would encourage everyone else to do so as well. I'm not sure whether anyone in this administration will even read our comments but, short of revolution (at the ballot box or 'other') it's the only thing that those of us without money and the access that it buys can do.

crestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
Clearly a short sighted solution.

If the land goes up for sale, who's in to buy the NF boulder garden frontage? With a view of the pinacle rock, that spot is a slice of heaven!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote