Old 08-07-2009   #1
Engineer, Vail
Biking for Kayak Saftey

I say this with a heavy heart that there has been many unfortunate incidents on the river this season and past seasons. We have lost great people of all experience levels, to say the very least. Our friend Drew Brian Hunter was also lost on the fish ladders section of Black Gore afer being caught in a hole and had to take a brutal swim.

His fiance and I have been biking across the county on our bicycles spreading the good word for kayak saftey and education.

The "Tour de Hunter" is attempting to raise money to promote kayak safety and education. Its founders, Jenna Seoane and Brendan Cohen aspire to encourage beginner kayakers to practice safety skills with the guidance of educational whitewater and kayak safety cards, available, free of charge at sporting good stores and kayak/whitewater shops throughout the country. And possible free clinics if funds permit. Drew's fiance, Jenna, and best friend & kayak partner,Brendan will road bike 5,000 miles across America, from the Pacific Ocean, through Vail, Colorado (where Drew lived), finnishing in Marshfield, Massachusetts (Drew's Hometown), in honor of Drew Brian Hunter and all other lives lost to the river. Through kayak safety and education, the Tour de Hunter's wish is to encourage paddlers to stay safe on the river while enjoying this exciting sport.

These free cards will be similar to the ones you can pick up in camping stores, but will be geared toward river saftey. These will be geared towards the "beginner kayaker " and will cover basic river safetey and self rescue information, so that when they walk into a shop they may pick one up and keep it in there PFD pocket. We feel its important to get safety and good practices engraned right off the bat rather than discover it through an unfortunate situation. Ideas are still being formulated and any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to follow us on our jouney, you can log in Facebook and view our blog (located on the "NOTES" tab of the page). A federal tax exempt donation link will become available once we reach our first 1000 miles (very shortly), if you would like to help our cause. Sorry for all those who are not on Facebook but it seems to be the most effective way of communication while on the road.

You must be logged in to view the page and join this group.

Thanks for your support everyone,

kakahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #2
I am not sure if you want audiences, groups to talk to or hand info out too, but I would love for my students to hear what you have to say. I work at the Colorado Rocky Mountain School in Carbondale, CO. About a days ride from Vail. I am know that there are a lot of kids who paddle in the area. I would be psyched to help organize something, from people to ride with you through Glenwood Springs, to an event of some sort. Plenty of places to either pitch a tent or stay in a bed with meals.

Peter Benedict
970 704 9710
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote