Old 03-26-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Biggest Hole In Colorado

What do you think are the biggest holes in Colorado[ excluding Mr. c's piehole and other orafi ]?Was comparing a surprisingly big hole on the SP town run to Seidels on another thread ,got me thinking.What are the biggest meanest holes in the state/region?
Came up with ;the big one on Cross Mtn. gorge[ Oesterizer?],Gore rapid,something in Barrel at high flows,the Animas gets big,never done those runs and only have seen Barrel high so just guesses/going by what i've read.Tell us about some monsters or wicked little guys.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Toilet Bowl in Gore Canyon. Scariest swim of my life.
Boat Eater in Royal Gorge when flow is very high.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #3
-Dick Wadham, head of the Colorado Republican Party. (Mr C's bastard uncle)

-Hole on right wall, lower Sledgehammer, Royal Gorge.
Not sure if it is the biggest hole but it could be the hardest to get out of. Watched a buddy get surfed for 15 minutes in his cat. When we finally got a rope from his cat to my cat and I pulled out into the current, I thought he would just pop right out. But my cat came to a complete stop and it took both of us pulling on our oars to pull him out.

-Bottom hole in Dowd Chutes @ 4800 cfs. Not recommended, bad memories

Hope to see Cross Mtn this spring below 3k!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #4
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I'd go upper death and osterizer for the biggest. Stickiest is a different question. Does upper death count as a hole? My vote is hole. Skull is a hole at high water, so- so is upper death
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Meanest hole I've actually ran was 3 Rocks on the Ark at 4,000. Becomes a dumptruck shit show comparable to Seidels at high flow.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Osterizer is certainly the biggest actual hole @ 15,000 I have seen here in CO. Gore's Toilet Bowl is really a riverwide pourover if you want to get really technical but I have witnessed boaters surf out after very long rides there. Nancy's hole on the lower gorge Upper Animas run is a pourover too but not something you can get out of and my vote for scariest "hole". It's a drowning machine at 5500-6000 cfs. Luckily very easy to miss.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #7
pnw, Washington
The hole in lower sledge is Clarks. I would vote for moonpie on Pine Creek as hardest to get out of. Happy that whens its really cooking I have watched others in it and not me.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, I think biggest =/= stickiest, though I'm interested to know people's thoughts on both.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #9
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I vote for the one you're in.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't know about "biggest", but the bottom of Double Trouble at least deserves a respectful nod in this thread...maybe that upper drop in Poudre Falls too, not that anybody ever runs it...

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote