Old 07-10-2006   #21
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook

Klamb. Where are you located and what jurisdiction/drainage (if that's even the correct term) do you have info about? I would love to know anything about Chattfield res. Union, Barker res.Boulder, Clear Creek, Button Rock res. Lyons etc. I'm sure I'm not alone here. Thanks for the 411, please post at will!!

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #22
Loveland, Colorado
reservoirs and stuff

Brook asks a good question about who owns what as far as reservoirs go.

As for me, I work for the Bureau of Reclamation's "eastern" Colorado office out of Loveland--we manage the two federal projects that divert water from the west slope to the east slope with fifteen reservoirs, total, including Ruedi, Green Mountain, Granby, Willow Creek, Shadow Mountain, Turquoise, Twin Lakes, Mt. Elbert Forebay, Pueblo, East Portal, Lake Estes, Pinewood, Flatiron, Carter and Horsetooth Reservoirs. I have information on all those reservoirs and the river systems they impact and even some of the politics that influence how they operate.

All the reservoirs Brook named are not Reclamation properties. Clear Creek was designed by us, but the Board of Water Works, Pueblo wound up building it and owns it. Chatfield and Cherry Creek are U.S. Army Corps of Engineers dams built primarily for flood control. Boulder and Barker reservoirs are City of Boulder properties, I believe. Union and Button Rock reservoirs are City of Longmont.

And I'm not sure about Lyons. All I can think of is the Fort Lyons canal and Fort Lyons Reservoir which are way down the Arkansas east of Pueblo. But , I figure you're asking about a reservoir up around the Town of Lyons and I don't know that one.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thank you for all of the updates! It really makes a big difference for the boating community.

You mentioned you worked with Twin Lakes Res. Do you know anything about the water that is pumped from the Roaring Fork Valley into Twin Lakes? I think you mentioned before on a previous post that this might be a different division.

The reason I ask is because the water comes down Lake Creek, which is a beautiful class 5 creek. Unfortunately, they will shut the flow off and on at very random intervals. This really can challenge (or annoy) a boater by either being left high and dry or being at a major rapid and having it come back up to big flows.... SEE GRAPH

Last night we were in the middle of that flow change. Is there any way we could find out when they are going to shut off the water? It could really help us out with staying safe...200 CFS can make a HUGE difference for these types of rapids.

Thanks for any info you might have.

Mark Olson
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #24
Loveland, Colorado
Pueblo Dam release drops to 700 cfs

Hi Mark,

Sometimes it is difficult to get information out in a timely manner because operational changes happen so fast. For example, this morning at 11:30, the State Engineer's Office had us scale back releases from Pueblo Dam by 3300 cfs, dropping the Arkansas below the dam to 700 cfs. This was about an hour after I told a kayaker from Denver over the phone that he should have plenty of time to get to Pueblo and enjoy the park at these flows. If anyone hears from that guy, tell him I'm really sorry. We honestly thought we had more time before the change came down. Fortunately, the water travel time from Pueblo Dam to the play park is about two hours, so hopefully he got an hour or so at the higher flows.

Meanwhile, back upstream to Lake County.

It sounds like you were above Twin Lakes. That is outside of our operations like you mentioned. Most likely, the Twin Lakes Canal Company would be the ones monitoring the water changes above Twin Lakes. They also divert from above Aspen. To find out for sure, contact the State Engineer's Office. That stretch of water is in the Arkansas River division. The division engineer is Steve Witte out of Pueblo and you can reach him at:

Arkansas River basin
Water Division 2

Steve Witte, Division Engineer
310 East Abriendo, Suite B
Pueblo, CO 81004
Phone: (719) 542-3368
Fax: (719) 544-0800

Steve might be better able to explain how Twin Lakes Canal Company operates and at what times they make changes. I know their share holders include the cities of Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Aurora, so their demands must change constantly.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #25
...stick a fork in it.

I missed it by less than 2 hours.

I'll pray for more floods in Fremont County so I can better recreate. (My house is on the hill so bring it!)
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #26
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I can't fucking believe I missed this. The Army screwed me out of the peak flow by sending me to one desert and now sent me to another and screwed me out of higher flows in my after work play park than I've ever seen there.

Don't mess with the big green will rip you wide open.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote

big water