View Poll Results: Big V vs Little VI
Big V 5 55.56%
Little VI 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2006   #1
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
big V vs. low water VI

To me there is a big difference, some "hairy" creeks are practically lineless with no chance of recirculating anywhere and the only significant challenge is "dont trip and smash your jaw" yet dropping a few hundred feet in a few hundred feet is certainly an intimidating rush, otherwise, some less steep creeks boast flows up to 2 or 3k become very constricted, forcing a paddler to deal with massive hydraulics and the chance that something lies hidden below the surface. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer to run the latter constricted stuff, something about the former reminds me of sledding.
Care to weigh in?

&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #2
I consider class VI unrunnable. If it is runnable, it is V+. There are many pages of discussion on this forum.

I'll take steep whitewater in any form.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I believe steep creeks have many more variables and strokes need to be put in very precise places to make things work. Many more adjustments happen while creeking. More obstacles along with water doing different things.

Big water, is more intense feeling and is very dangerous in it's own right. Only obstacles in big water are usaully holes and controling your breathing. Either one takes alot of skill and both are very dangerous. The dangers in big water are much different than they are on creeks. Both are very impressive to watch with the right pilot in the water.

My 2 cents

Oh and class 6 can be runnable in my opinion and still be class 6. Alot of rapids have been stunt boated and succesfully ran (tao made a life of it) never to be paddled again. When you see drops that have been ran 10 times or so, with most pro paddlers walking away from them it a good chance I would put it in a class 6 catagory. Kyle-- you suck! LOL, Gary
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #4
My 2 cents is that Gary does not know shit. He does not paddle shit. He just talks a lot of shit. Get you ass out of the high desert, stop running your mouth, and come sack it up.
slee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #5
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Both forms have their rewards and consequences to compare them is somwhat like comparing apples to oranges to the point where big water V boaters prefer different creeks boats than steep VI prefer.

Personally, I'll take either but am more griped on the steeps than in big water.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote