Old 03-05-2009   #1
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Big 'Uns

Record or not, that's a long time to spend falling.

Werner Blog: Record Waterfall Drop

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I didn't even notice the boater in the pic the first time, that is massive

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #3
B.F.E., Wyoming
Thats just nuts.I think that one is big enough to be in the middle of the falls and still second guess yourself.
"Ah just sitting here falling...falling...falling...Oh God What The Hell Am I Doing?!"
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I'll bet he wished he'd taken that work visa to loveland ski area instead.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
jeesuz. big. isn't the world. thats a long way to fall. it probably felt like 5 seconds.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #6
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
did he stick it or swim? badass either way, but it takes skill to run a waterfall like that and stay in your boat
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
There was a really interesting article in the most recent AW called "The Great Debate." It started off as a reply from Tyler Bradt to Doug Ammons on his article a few months back where he addressed the cutting edge of kayaking and took a jab at Tyler and those running BIG waterfalls and claiming that running big waterfalls isn't really that cutting edge. So what is cutting edge, and why do we get so amped about people hucking off big falls? I tend to agree with Doug. And while I know for a fact that the people running these big falls are enormously talented boaters, it seems like the actual skill involved in successfully navigating these big drops is relatively small when compared to the element of luck. I say this based on the pictures that I've seen which make the falls (Alexandria, Salto Belo) look like basically class II/III water to huge falls to pool. And yet the success rate is pretty varied, with alot of the people getting ripped from their boats. Would a class III boater fare any better or worse on these monsters if someone pointed and said, "go off there"?
My hat is still off to these brave souls, but I would still pose the question, how much skill is really involved in running one of these falls?
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #8
x, x
Paddling Since: x
If he has some clips in HC 4 running some shit with the rest of the boys I will give him props. If he just drops this one falls, then I am going to drop it too and be like "what eva,what eva, I do what I want.''
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #9
I'm with CGM overall. There is a huge element of luck involved to not get ripped from the boat when you are talking about drops this big. There is no doubt that most of the guys who seek to take such risk have a high enough skill set level to marginalize the risk. But that doesn't mean that they will be successful in the attempt, either by staying in their boat or staying alive for that matter.
There's a whiff of the lynch mob or the lemming migration about any overlarge concentration of like-thinking individuals, no matter how virtuous their cause.
-PJ O'Rouke
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009   #10
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984

"I reckon I'll have me some of the big'uns."

When I ran that drop back in the 90's, I had time to make a sandwich on the bow of my Savage Fury before I hit the water. PB&J, if you wanna know.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote