Old 03-07-2009   #31
Keep in mind that we are talking about a team of five extremely talented kayakers. Some of whom have been leading the charge of expedition kayaking all over the world for the last few years. The skills that it takes to successfully navigate these large waterfalls are definitely debatable. How much control do you have at the lip, during free fall, and upon landing? Only the people who are making the decisions to drop in know the amount of control they will have. The biggest thing that is keeping this team safe is the preparations that the make before they get in the water. It's not just walking up to a falls dropping your throw bag over to check height and hucking. These guys are seeking out huge drops planing the logistics and getting it done. I would bet that 2,3 or even all five of them were thinking about running it. Keep exploring boys

Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #32
Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
Oh, and for the record. Calling a person on the internet ignorant, when you yourself have no idea who they are or how much knowledge they may have, is ignorant within itself. I'm not looking for a name calling match; consider the last word yours.
I'm sorry for calling you ignorant but when you say things like "One day, one of these IDIOTS who is trying "to push the limits" is going to find the limit and die; and his friends who film it and let him try it should feel the guilt." it makes you seem pretty ignorant.

idaho.davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #33
Boulder, Colorado
No one has brought up the point that these guys seem to have tons of fun doing this (they keep doing it so they must enjoy it), and in the end isn't that what it is all about? If they are enjoying what they are doing more power to them. Personally I wouldn't want to be there when somebody hucked something that big I would be scared out of my mind for them.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #34
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by tj@cu View Post
No one has brought up the point that these guys seem to have tons of fun doing this (they keep doing it so they must enjoy it), and in the end isn't that what it is all about? If they are enjoying what they are doing more power to them. Personally I wouldn't want to be there when somebody hucked something that big I would be scared out of my mind for them.
Agreed, thats why I kayak. Fun
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #35
Gotta add my random thoughts:

• Carcass hucking is hella fun and I guess the day that I'm not gripped above 40'ers I'll start hucking 50'ers.
  • If your goal is to get press from the mainstream media (which I think is a lame goal but whatever) hucking your meat is the best way to do that. Show a nonkayaker video of a random slide on OBJ and show them video of The Gash on USB and they'll think OBJ looks way gnarlier. They're wrong. All the better for media whores because slides are fun and the Gash is sketchball.
  • Calling Christian ignorant is ignorant.
  • 127'ers are sick as hell but they aren't the future of the sport. CGM is right. It would be interesting to ask Rush what was scarier Alexandria or Scott's drop on NF American. Scott's drop is kayaking Alexandria is stunt boating.
  • The nature of kayaking is such that a total gaper can get through a certain number of drops way beyond their skill level (ever hung out at Gore rapid for a few minutes?) and great boaters occasionally get destroyed in drops they've run 20 times (Double Trouble anyone?) There is a lot of luck involved and water can often be pretty forgiving.
  • Whitewater kayaking will always be a fringe sport. If you're doing it for the sponsorship money find a new sport - we don't need you. If you're doing it cuz it's pretty much the funnest thing on planet earth you can stop bitching about the lack of sponsorship money
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #36
This thread is a good debate between many people that know how to and do huck big. Christian and Chris Morrison have good points, neither are ignorant, and both can huck. Figure I'll throw my 2 cents.

I believe the true skill of running a big drop is almost entirely mental (often refered to as balls). Some basic freestyle background and former waterfall hucking is a prerequisite, but the technical skill is that of any class V kayaker. Pretty much all of us can Oregon tuck, or boof, or 45 degree any size drop as long as we believe we can. The belief is so strong that we know we can stomp the landing on this huge drop, and therefore we have no reason not to run it because we know we can't possibly screw it up. It's that confidence that takes away the fear as soon as we peel out of the eddy and commit.

I don't believe that any part of stomping a big drop is luck. Granted water is forgiving. But I believe that if two kayakers huck 127 feet, and one believes they will make it, and the other believes they might make it, then the later might surely get jacked. If you have any doubt your body tences up, your strokes get slower and weaker, and you start to doubt that you can control your boat angle as you plummet towards the pool below. In a few seconds that slight doubt leads to a snowball effect of wrong reactions. Meanwhile the confident kayaker that can keep his mental focus will subconsciously react, and do so correctly. He's the guy that can still stick a handroll in the pool at the bottom, just because he needed air and he lost his paddle.

How many of us have run a drop, and remember only taking one or two key strokes, only to later look at some video footage and realize you took 5 forward strokes, two directional draws and a boof. The confident kayaker has the body control to subconsciously paddle that way, while the paddler with doubt really only does take two strokes, and gets worked. Deer in the headlights.

Props to anyone hucking, especially 127 feet. Can't wait to see how big some will go in the future. They are some of the mentally toughest of our sport. There technique is on par with hundreds of class V paddlers around the world, but they have the confidence to do what many of us can't.

ps It takes more technical skill to run Jakes Ladder. Yet I guarantee running a 127 footer is way cooler than running Jakes. Jakes isn't mentally as hard.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #37
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Interesting debate. The only thing I didn't notice mentioned explicitly is the skill it takes to pick the right drop for a stunt like this. It's the same with skiing in terms of waiting for the perfect snow conditions with the right lip and the right landing zone. There's skill in being able to pick out the right 127 foot waterfall that won't kill you and I think this crew knew what to look for.

Whether or not this kind of stunt is smart or the right thing to do strikes me as a moot point. Part of what makes humans wonderful is someone, somewhere will try almost anything. Some of those things will turn out to be mistakes and some will turn out to be great discoveries. Not to minimize the hurt and pain that can result from something like this going wrong, but people make choices and we're all more expendable than we'd like to believe. (What was that Solaris quote, 'there are no answers, only choices...'.) Crazy dumb or crazy smart at least this guy's doing something!
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #38
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I don't know why you are all talking about advancing the sport through dropping off big falls. Playboating is where its at, getting on a wave and blunting that is awesome, and then when someone else does a blunt that is even cooler, and then another shot of someone doing a blunt, more blunts please I can't get enough blunts, oh and slides are cool again too.

I am probably just mad cause I can't get that damn bow stall.

But here is a question, if I have a large scrotum and I am feeling good could I walk up to a 120ft fall and huck it and make it? Maybe, but if I get out onto a wave and try to blunt am I going to get it, no way in hell.
So does running waterfalls take skill? Sure but not nearly as much as playboating.

Too bad playboating is still like rollerblading
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #39
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Man survives plunge over Niagara Falls -

Guess that settles it...

I'm not saying kayaking over big falls isn't fun, but it definitely gets more ego hype than deserved - I'm guilty as charged also.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #40
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
joe that stunt is like russian rulette with a 5 load in a 6 shooter. come on.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote