Old 03-08-2009   #1
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Big task at hand, need some help planning

So I am trying to plan a trip this summer. Biking across Colorado and trying to hit 50 class V stretches of river. I am trying to hit the good stuff and do some good while doing it. Raising Money for AW and First Descents.

I am trying to figure out the best route and timing for hitting these rivers. Since I am biking its not like I can just drive through the night to catch some rain for Vallecito. Looking for some help on how to get around the state to not have to Kriss Kross (make you jump) so much.

Here is the tentative list of stretches I am trying to hit.

-Clear Creek
-Grape Creek
-Lake Creek

Cache la Poudre:
-Lower narrows
-Upper Narrows
-Joe Wright
-Spencer Heights
-Big South

Central Mountains:
-Upper East
-Upper Ruby
-Oh Be Joyful
*NF of the Slate

Crystal River:
-South Fork
-Crystal Gorge
-North Fork
-Yule Creek

-2nd Lime
-Needle Creek
-1st Lime
-South Mineral
*Falls Creek

Front Range:
-NSV Proving grounds
-The Source
-Big Thompson
*Jasper Creek

Greater D-Town:
-Black Rock
-West Fork of Clear Creek
-Cheeseman Canyon
*Woods Creek

Headwaters of Colorado:
-Gilman Gorge
-Upper Tenmile
-Vail Pass Black Gore
-Barrel Springs
-The White Stripe
-Cross Creek
*Piney River

Pagosa Zone:
-Wolf Creek
-Treasure Canyon
-West Fork of San Juan

Roaring Fork:
-North Fork of the Frying Pan

Western Slope:
-Black Canyon
-Big Cimarron

-Upper Fish Creek
-Lower Fish Creek
-Upper Elk
-Slater Creek
*Willow Creek
*Cross Mt.

I know some probably won't flow like Alkali, Big T, Cheeseman, the asterisk ones are back ups or if I am feeling really really on my A game.
Help a Brother out on planning this please. If you have any you think would be good to add let me know too.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #2
great project

Very nice!

You did however omit the Golden WW park on a Wednesday afternoon. Parking alone is class V.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #3
That is sooo lame. Prediction: You get a flat tire, and just start bumming rides off your friends again.
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #4
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
wow, that is quite a list, sounds like a super good time for sure! good luck with it all, i hope you make it, that would be quite a personal accomplishment.

my take on it is how long are you planning on going out? if youre on a strict timetable then you should try to focus on one or two large areas (say, SW, or NE, or N or S) and try to clean everything in that area, rather than trying to tag them all across the state in a mad scramble.

or, if you have no real timetable, i would say play it by ear. go to one area, boat, check out where the melt is coming next, and then go there. that way you can get more out of the melt, since creeks like Escalante run in April and May, but other stuff like the Crystal area doesnt get going (or aren't accessible) until June or later. that way you could go from one area to the next, and if you do it right you wouldnt have much in the way of crossing over ground youve already been through. do a big loop? out through poudre/headwaters/steamboat, down through gunny/unc, into the animas and then out through pagosa and then the ark? big ole circle tour de colorado.

in any rate, best of luck to you, it sounds like a great project for the summer!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #5
oh yeah
"the asterisk ones are back ups or if I am feeling really really on my A game."

so meatgrinder's a backup and yule isn't? rowdy.

most of the areas need to be paddled from june 1st until july 1st. that's 30 days to hit most of your 50 runs. sounds ambitious. maybe 20 could be hit after or before that time frame but that's still 30 in 30 days and then a lot of backtracking.

i'd take grape creek off your list. it's far from everything by bike and the skunk factor's really high.

all of the poudre could be done in a weekend in early july. you'll catch the big south on the higher side and joe wright/ spencer on the lower side.

the more i look at it the less feasible it seems. you'll want to be in durango, crested butte, vail, and boulder at the same time. and how long would it take to bike from durango to boulder?

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #6
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Kevin you are a badass, how do people give to said adventure....
How many women do you think that you could sleep with on this adventure? If its over 20 I am in for $100
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #7
Mad Scientist/Creeker
There is not time for women on this adventure that is for sure. Unless they can give fellatio from a sidecar on the bike.

Actually it's just not really possible in one summer to hit all of those runs even driving very fast in a truck. I've tried. You really just have to be two or three places at once and by bike umm, will be highly difficult. The real problem is that when you're in a drainage, say the Crystal you can't hit all the runs you want in consecutive days. Meatgrinder/Narrows is in for awhile, then NF is in at one point, then Yule and SF and then two weeks later the Gorge. Same thing in Durango. 1st and 2nd Gorge of Lime are just never in at the same time. Even Pagosa zone, Wolf Creek will be too high if WFSJ is in and Treasure goes earlier then the West Fork generally.

Cool idea no doubt but the number is ambitious. Maybe try to hit a class V run in every drainage? More if it works out? I'm no there to stop you. Just bringing some reality to the situation. Biking back and forth from the Glenwod to Durango multiple times just doesn't seem feasible, even with a good wench in the sidecar.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
That is a ambitious list for one season with a support truck and a driver. Maybe a bio-diesel powered by grease from restaurants along the way would be more realistic?

While some of the runs can be done in the same day, most require an whole day and a few are 2-3 days like the Black Canyon. That list looks like about 40-45 days of paddling - but I've only done a fraction of it, maybe you can hit more of these runs same day, but the biking in between runs will slow down same day attempts.

How many days of riding are in there? 15 days? 20 days? 30 days? Your gonna ride at least 1,500 miles to make the shortest loop possible to hit this list, probably a lot more. Are you gonna pull your boat in a trailer or have a support car? If you are pulling your boat/gear how many miles a day can you cover realistically? I think you need 2 or maybe 3 months. And you need things to melt in your favor in a perhaps unrealistic way during that time. If you can pull it off it would be amazing - I love your ambition.

I would think about trying for more like 25 class V runs in 50 days if you are going to pedal your way around the state. Or get a support crew and a vehicle that would allow you to follow the water and focus on the paddling. Then go for 50 class V's in 50 days by hitting whatever class V's are running in each drainage when you are there. Then you could probably get to the big 50 number in 50 days.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #9
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Damn negative Nancys up in here. Sure it might be unrealistic, but its my goal and the main reason is to raise money for some good organizations. If you got some better runs to add let me know.

I live in G-wood so hitting escalante early is no problem, plus I will loop back around to hit the crystal later and can hit it early.
Poudre done in a day if no ladies keep me around
Most of CB done in a day.
I-70 corridor is done in a couple and they should all melt around the same time correct?
I can throw out grape, wolf creek
I am worried more about the Durango and Steamboat stuff.

Please don't tell me I can't do it just give me ideas to hit the most.

Pete, aren't you the one who was always bumming rides even when the ol ford came into play?

P.S. I have from around May 23-August 5th to do this and absolutely NO commitments

Kayak is on a xtracycle, self support. Truck support is for lame ass frenchies with skinny tires and no testicles due to all the doping. (Frenchy I am not talking about you)
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #10
Mad Scientist/Creeker
question is - does it have a sidecar?

not saying you can't. just saying how many times can you peddle back and forth from durango. miles per day guestimate. also, the river gods are already unhappy with you for claiming all of the poudre runs in a day. even that is a stretch with a car, but with a bike, just gettting big south in with both the rides would be tough, then add trying to peddle 30 miles down canyon to the narrows. you can do it. you can. it will be amazing if you pull off even half the list from your bike but...

some other considerations
1. what about shuttle? are oyu going to accept rides once you're "there?"
2. are you going to paddle solo when there is no one willing to hit 3-4 runs in a day?

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote