Mountain Buzz banner

Big T

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  RiverWrangler 
#1 ·
Big T is up to 241 cfs. Get on it while you can. There is also a nice Class IV/IV+ section from below the Class V down to Drake. It is not in any book though.

Arn

#5 ·
Badkins,
Patrick and I will proabably hit this early in the A.M before work...like putting in at 8am or so. You're welcome to join if you want to. As for the comparison, the inbetween is a lot like SSV (technical V-), but the big drops are BIGGER than anything there (read:scary but cool). The Wall section of SSV Narrows is = in difficulty to hardest stuff on Big T. Give a shout if you want to go.
EvanJ
P.S. Anyone else wanting to run this section, before you go check out
http://www.coloradokayaking.com/main.php?pageid=Rivers&riverid=BigT
for a description of the class V stuff.

#7 ·
beta

There are 2 short sporty rapids between the park and dam. Below the dam offers the narrows section which is semi-continuous III at this level.Bring your playboat and expect to donate a wee bit of plastic as the "T" is still bony at this level. As mentioned, a great run to get wet on in September. For those looking for a huge HUCK, note the 25 foot drop over the dam at the mouth. While usually too shallow for survival, there is an inordinate amount of agua pumping into the river from a diversion tunnel just above the falls. It has created a huge boiling cauldren above the dam and increased the depth below. If it is deep enough......

Also, do check the AM flow as Estes Lake might have closed the valves at midnight. I was climbing in the canyon around 1pm today and noticed the flow increase. Sadly, it often only runs for 24 hours. Bring your climbing gear just in case. We will boat it around 2pm if it is still running, my # is 970-669-1929.
Rich

#12 ·
Worthwhile Dave???

Hell I was in there last night for the 2nd time. 240 two days ago was well worth it for Sept... 340 was downright awesome last night... and 443 should be fricken STOMPIN!!!!!

It's on boy and girls! Get it while the gettin's good!

But beware of some very sticky holes in there. Seriously... if you don't believe me, talk to Badkins... How does that GNR song go??? "Take me down to the beat down city"

HA

Craw

#13 ·
Thanks Marty, next time you get beat down I'm going to broadcast it on the buzz! :twisted: I didn't see you paddling the so called "Class V" section! For the record I had 2 backenders, the second one resulting in an extended beat down. Oh, and the section below the class v to drake was a blast!

#14 ·
It doesn't happen often my friend... So one must take advantage of good laugh when the chance comes around.

For the record.. I wasn't there. But I looked at the drop afterwords and it looks pretty rough in there. One of those... if it goes good it's great!! and if it goes bad it's really bad!!!

I commend you for the try, but also appreciate the chuckle for imagining how busy you must have been trying to get in back on track.

:lol:

Craw

#15 ·
All,
Big T should run through tomorrow and possibly Saturday and Sunday. We are doing some work in the canals along the "power generation" arm of the Colorad-Big Thompson project. So, we must release all the irrigation water for delivery directly to the river from the dam at Lake Estes.

That is why it is probably going to bump up to 500 cfs by Friday (tomorrow).

500 cfs. The fly-fish guys tell me that is "raging" and they're bugging out.

Go ride it while you can! We should start scaling back down Friday night and over the weekend.

Please give me a holler if you have questions, concerns, etc.

Best,
Kara

#17 ·
Arn (and other possible hookie players),

Not that I would ever advocate leaving work early to have fun, but tomorrow should be a good day on the Big T.

Our flows will be 483 cfs out of the dam at Lake Estes through Friday (tomorrow) and even Friday night. Saturday morning, word is they will start ratcheting down again and flows will probably drop about 150 cfs.

So, for Friday (9/17) it will be 483 cfs from Olympus Dam to Drake. After Drake, the north fork will probably add another 20-30 cfs making it around 500 cfs through the lower part of the canyon to the canyon mouth. After that, I think the ditch diversions are on.

I don't know where the kayaking spots are, but hopefully this description gives you a good idea of where to head out--after work, of course. :wink:

Have a good time!
--Kara

#21 ·
Estes to the handicap access fishing pier is II-IV (you can put in below the dam but beware of the fence just past the first bridge--easy to sneak on river right), the gnar gnar that everyone else is running and described on coloradokayaking.com is between the pier and a couple miles above Drake. Below the gnar to Drake is more IVish type stuff--lots of fun! Wish I was there!

Doug

#22 ·
Big T Friday update from Reclamation

All,

Here is the Friday update:

Flows from Oly Dam to the Big T today (Friday) are still around 480 cfs, bumping up a bit more at the Drake confluence.

Late tonight (1:30 a.m.), the flow reduction will come on. We will drop releases to around 340 cfs out of the dam. That should be the flow through the weekend.

Today's the day!

Best,
Kara

#23 ·
Thanks so much to Kara for the daily updated flow regime for Big T :!: Today WAS a good day for the Big T...I had my fun...but 340 is still an excellent flow for the class V sluff section and we are super lucky that it will being flowing at this level all weekend (I would say it is optimum at 340, although it can be run higher, as we (mostly NickW) proved today :shock: ...and it can also be run lower if you don't mind it bony). Get it while you can. What a sweet september gift!
EvanJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.