Old 06-09-2011   #11
Big Sur 29,000

I surfed Big Sur yesterday at 29,000 CFS in a Jackson 4 fun and had a blast. The wave is perfect for play boaters at these levels.

There is a second wave immediately after the main wave that is also a blast right now.

Drive east bound I-70 and you will see the "Parking" sign on the right. This leads to the old road and you can park right next to the bridge. The wave is 100 yards or so walk from the parking road under the bridge. Easy access.

Have fun and don't be a wave hog.
Watch out for trees coming down the river. I nearly missed some seriously huge full blown trees floating down the river.

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #12
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks so much for the information Kyle.

biegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #13
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
what?!?! Still no video yet?
hkbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011   #14
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1996
Well all, I was lucky enough to hit Big Sur on Friday and Saturday with a buddy of mine. I know there has been lots of down playing of this wave but honestly, in my opinion it totally rocked. We saw flows of 27000 to 29000 and the higher it was the better it was. That being said I was in my Fluid Element Surf Kayak and it seemed that it was the perfect boat for the wave hands down. There were some awesome old schoolers with long boats out there and though they could surf farther out on to the Glass than the Element their rides were pretty much straight forward surfing with little carve or dynamic. On the other hand, the play boats of which there were many and some amazing paddlers- even the boats that are considered fast by todays standards, mostly hung out in the pile and although there was some great bounce with sizable blunts and back pan ams there wasn't much full on Surfing as the wave was not steep enough for normal play boats. The Element toatally Slayed Big Sur. It had the speed for the glass, the carve and loosness to do big high speed moves. Big Sur may be have lost its alure for modern play boaters but if surfing is one of your passions and you have a Surf Kayak I have to say it is one of the best River Waves(if not the best) I have ever sliced up. I will try and post some pics soon of what could be the new norm for a Wave Like Big Sur.

Either which way it was an amazing wave and totally worth the drive from NM.

biegm is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic