Old 05-22-2006   #11
I have been paddling here since 1988. iT IS GREEN and ok at 18k. At 20ish a pile is formed, at 24ish a big pile
Shack and SC, my point exactly. I grew up in Junction, and have been paddling since 93ish. Surfed Big Sur every year from 94-96 (could be off, but three years straight).

If it is under 24k, then I think it will be nearly impossible to surf in anything modern. It was hard to surf in Kintecs and Super Sports. Above that, and I think the newer boats are going to kill it. I remember my first air while surfing was here, because on surfers left you can carve out of the pile and down the face where boils roll over the front lip. With enough speed you could bounce a super sport a few inches in the air. At the right level and with a flat bottom boat I think you can go huge. At 18k, bring the frankenstien.

Thus, I wouldn't bother showing up until 24k, unless you want to bring the long boat... its all you. My take, 1/2 hour front surfs became boring after the first time I did a cartwheel.

The glory of some of the old playspots is dissapearing with the advent of short boats. Westwater is a prime example, where a 7'5 and up boat was great, and now the newer freestyle designs just can't catch the same waves. But, we can play more features now and do much cooler shit in the short boats.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #12
"Bummer. This is the peak, and it's a ways from 24K"

Um, looks like that prediction is not official as it is already over the forcasted link on that page. 24K looks like a reach, but who knows.

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #13
H2 Hoes
Kayak, Colorado
its not looking good it really needs to be a 20000 but my dad a water tecnithin said its not hapining
West Slope
hartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I heard something about the two dams coordinating a release sometime within the next week. I dont know if this is fact or fiction, but I know reudi reservoir is a part of a sort of coalition of reservoirs that coordinate releases to help simulate flood conditions in order to help rehabilitate some endangered fish species, meaning the fryingpan is going to run for the first time in years and that Big Sur might go. Anybody hear this?
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #15
Yep the pan is supposed to go to 800 tomorrow. Lots of dead trees in the creek the last time I was up there though.
jthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #16
The last time I was at Big Sur - the top wave had a nice pile on it and folks were throwing down - it was the year of the Kenetic and Godzilla.
I say dust off the long board and get ready to ride!

steambabe is offline   Reply With Quote