Old 04-27-2004   #11
Mad Scientist/Creeker
the never summer yurts could prove useful. where exactly are they. are they in the park? near teh river? i thought they were all farther north (in the never summer range). if the poudre comes up early enough we may be able to get in there as early as anyone ever has with the use of the snowmobiles (they don't need that much snow).
as far as the timing goes i think it should be good to go in early june (maybe even before if you're not afraid of the snow). i think it all depends on the weather over the next month, but as a general rule there seems to be enough flow in the big south by early june every year.
as for the hike, i will be prepared to walk most of the way to the confluence with weird creek...although even looking uptstream from the confluence you can see a runnable looking drop in the park and i've hiked along the clp trail up into the park and much of it appeared runnable (flow dependent). i've also heard of people putting in just below poudre lake instead of hiking down from the medicine bow curve. the elevation drop from the lake to the confluence is about 1100 ft. this still puts the average gradient at more than 100ft. per mile, with some sections being much steeper. anyway i don't mind if i have to hike the whole clp trail. it's all down hill & the cool part about this mission is that you get to explore the entire big south fork, from its high alpine source to the confluence with joe wright, where it forms the poudre proper. i love this river and for anyone willing to hike/run this section i'm going to guarantee a spiritual experience.

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hasn't someone paddled/portaged this whole stretch before? Ethan Greene maybe? Pretty sure first hand beta is available.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote