Old 07-01-2009   #11
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13

The forest service does not open the gate because they are worried about 4 wheeler's and atv's tearing up the side roads, not the main road which is dry.

Kayakers or Forest Service, pool together the appropriate amount of funds to gate off the side roads (I've heard there are about 10?)

This solution would benefit other recreational users as well

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #12
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Good approach. Might be possible but another main reason they do not open the gate is because of the man hours needed to manage the area. There is a ton of trail, road and people maintenance that needs to happen before they open the gate and they also have to staff the ranger station near the top.

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #13
Breckenridge, Colorado
forest service

Just an idea to make it easier on the forest person volunteer to be in contact with them about the gate and post info here. Im sure that would be nicer for them rather than answering the phone 100 times a day.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #14
I like the idea of the forest service providing access, timing, one day a weekend. Sounds similar to Cheeseman.

What about the approach they take with the 'Green' access where people purchase keys to the gate annually? Seems like then they do not have take the time to provide access, make money for the forest service and allow limited people in. Draw back could be an accidental leaving the gate unlock, but I would be boaters would be on top of that.

Has anyone talked with them about what would work?
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #15
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
bs with the fs

Over the past couple of decades I have had several conversations with the forest service about access to the Big South. The nod their head, say they appreciate the boating community's concerns. Then assign some one to go out look at the roads and areas accessed by the Long Draw road and ask them to make a decision based on absolutely no parameters. I got tired of beating my head against a wall so I gave up. This year it's the 4 wheelers. In the past it was that the camp grounds weren't open. In other years the main road's too wet. Get the picture. They change personnel there so often that nobody at the USFS has any reason to stick their neck out and actually do something.
This same discussion comes up every year and every year the general opinion is that somebody should do something about this. Well boys and girls I did what I could for a couple of decades and I don't think my I've got any more Big South trips left in my adrenal glands so it's time for some one else to take up the torch. You have several options open to you.

There's always the monkey wrench option. Show up some dark and stormy night with a plasma cutter or a petrogen torch and leave the gate in a pile on the side of the road.
Or a group of local boaters can get together talk to the folks at AW and come up with a coherent strategy to deal with the USFS and then go for it.
Or you can whine about it and be asking the same questions again next year and the year after that and the year after that.... you get the picture.
Good Luck and happy boating.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #16
Steamboat, Colorado
Big South is expected to open by 1 p.m. on 7/3/09, according to the Forest Service website:
USDA Forest Service, Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests, Pawnee National Grassland - Recreation Activities- Canyon Lakes Ranger District, Long Draw Campground

just sayin...
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
If I were the forest service, I would give one key to one Fort Collins boater for a $7500 damage deposit as soon as the main road was good to go. I figure there are 15-30 boaters that would be willing to share the cost of the deposit. If the gate gets left open and any damage is done to the trails or campsites, the deposit is forfeited and the offender gets berated by 15-30 pissed off boaters. The gate will stay locked. The understanding would be that the kayakers would not leave the main road except to put in. There would only be one caravan a day because there is only one key. If shuttle drivers, and one fewer drive up the road, would reduce the environmental impact, then maybe we would have to agree to that. The biggest risk would be that a USFS employee would leave the gate open and then charge the kayakers for the resulting damage. If the boating community can't put up $7500 for one and a half months, then I would say there isn't enough interest to justify the forest service taking the risk on us. I'm sure this idea would be too rational to work for the government.
aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #18
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote