Big South Gate - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Big South Gate

Talked to the forest service today. Lady said that they were hoping that they would open the gate this friday before the 4th of July weekend.

I'm camping with the family this weekend, but if any of the usual suspects wants to do a day trip run on big south on tuesday July 5, hit me up.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
I'm going to try and get in there Sunday. Anyone have a visual?
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Flows late last week here on the reasonable side of high, water level fluctuating between the highest paint mark to just lapping over the top of the gauge rock under the bridge.

That said, there is new wood. There is a huge log across the first gorge of Prime Time. It is a must portage, and is going to require some serious removal effort once the water drops for it to not become a Prime Time log jam for years to come. The rest of the prime time gorges go fine.

New wood also in Pin Cushion, a big log sticking vertically out right in the center pocket that you are trying to avoid. Was able to run the normal smearing rock slide to the left and avoid the wood, but it was a little dicey and dropping flows could expose more of the log.

Slideways has a large log sticking into the river from river right in the pool directly above the boof spout. It should be relatively easy to cut/remove.

Tubular Balls still has a large log across in the run out, below the steepest part of the drop. It is relatively easy to eddy out and duck it on the right, but an out of control or upside down paddler could have issue.

Seems to be quite a bit of wood still moving around due to a huge blow down event near Peterson Lake, so watch your ass.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoody View Post
Flows late last week here on the reasonable side of high, water level fluctuating between the highest paint mark to just lapping over the top of the gauge rock under the bridge.

That said, there is new wood. There is a huge log across the first gorge of Prime Time. It is a must portage, and is going to require some serious removal effort once the water drops for it to not become a Prime Time log jam for years to come. The rest of the prime time gorges go fine.

New wood also in Pin Cushion, a big log sticking vertically out right in the center pocket that you are trying to avoid. Was able to run the normal smearing rock slide to the left and avoid the wood, but it was a little dicey and dropping flows could expose more of the log.

Slideways has a large log sticking into the river from river right in the pool directly above the boof spout. It should be relatively easy to cut/remove.

Tubular Balls still has a large log across in the run out, below the steepest part of the drop. It is relatively easy to eddy out and duck it on the right, but an out of control or upside down paddler could have issue.

Seems to be quite a bit of wood still moving around due to a huge blow down event near Peterson Lake, so watch your ass.
I've never been in there but I've been waiting all year for the gate to open. Is it possible to hike to the majority of wood? I have tomorrow off, a few saws, ropes, good working knowledge of said tools and a strong back. If it's possible...
Old 06-29-2016   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
YES, all the wood mentioned can be hiked to and there is a nice trail all the way there.

Tubular Balls is maybe 1-1.5 miles upstream from the parking lot. It cliffs up both sides. That log is huge and probably hard to remove. (FYI - at the start of the hike you'll be up high and see some good whitewater below called The Rush that typically people just takeout above).

Slideways is next up (another .5 - 1 mile upstream) and is a really long rapid with a beautiful 6 foot spout in the midway down. It'll be pretty obvious as the trail climbs up above it through the boulder field.

Pin Cushion is just 1/4 mile above the the beginning of Slideways. It's just 1 drop that's a few foot slide.

Prime Time Gorge is fair bit above that - a couple miles maybe? You'll pass Double Trouble, which is super obvious. Then you keep trekking up and at some point you'll climb back up above a gorge that's one of the longer gorges you encounter and that's prime time. The wood sounds like it's midway down the gorge. Probably you would have to access it from river left based on the photo I saw which involves finding a way across the river.

It would be rad if you were able to chop away any of that.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
(FYI - at the start of the hike you'll be up high and see some good whitewater below called The Rush that typically people just takeout above).
Why is this? I was wondering why people don't just run to the takeout. Too many hazards? AW says there's another rapid called Curtain Call after as well that sounds pretty ugly?
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoak View Post
Why is this? I was wondering why people don't just run to the takeout. Too many hazards? AW says there's another rapid called Curtain Call after as well that sounds pretty ugly?
Curtain Call is only ugly if you don't appreciate 15 to 20 feet drops into wood filled sieves. When the wood isn't bad it is common to run to the lip of Curtain Call. I know people have run the left side of Curtain Call at certain levels, but it's not common.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #8

Paddling Since: '93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBoater View Post
I've never been in there but I've been waiting all year for the gate to open. Is it possible to hike to the majority of wood? I have tomorrow off, a few saws, ropes, good working knowledge of said tools and a strong back. If it's possible...
Any luck getting at some of that wood, ColoradoBoater?
Old 06-30-2016   #9

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
UPDATE:

1st gorge Prime Time wood is still there, and likely will be until Fall. It's huge.

There is another log I forgot to mention right at the exit of Prime Time. It is a large mostly submerged log extending from the river right shore. It is plenty avoidable but not the easiest to see and requires a strong ferry to pass safely by on the left. This is literally within sight from where the Chambers Lake hike in option reaches the river.

Pin Cushion wood has shifted and was a necessary portage. We were unsuccessful in our lassoing attempts, but I'm sure it could be moved if you all are wanting to get creative.

Slideways log is moved out of the way and runable now! The log still hangs into the eddy immediately above the boof spout. It's not in the way at all, but it does make that eddy smaller.

Tubular Balls runout log can be paddled over on the right or ducked on river left.

This in not a definitive list of log issues in there, there are a lot of logs not mentioned here that have been in there in season's past.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #10

Denver, Colorado
I didnt get the message in time to know if it was possible. Thanks for the heads up KSC. Level still a medium high?

I'll be trying to get in there at a good first time medium flow....

Me and a buddy are trying to get in there sunday. He's been in there once and I'm a first timer. Looking for a crew that knows the lines a little better. If this week doesn't work out i'll probably try to get up there tuesday and work on some wood clearing.