Big South Gate - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2016   #11

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
YES, all the wood mentioned can be hiked to and there is a nice trail all the way there.

Tubular Balls is maybe 1-1.5 miles upstream from the parking lot. It cliffs up both sides. That log is huge and probably hard to remove. (FYI - at the start of the hike you'll be up high and see some good whitewater below called The Rush that typically people just takeout above).

Slideways is next up (another .5 - 1 mile upstream) and is a really long rapid with a beautiful 6 foot spout in the midway down. It'll be pretty obvious as the trail climbs up above it through the boulder field.

Pin Cushion is just 1/4 mile above the the beginning of Slideways. It's just 1 drop that's a few foot slide.

Prime Time Gorge is fair bit above that - a couple miles maybe? You'll pass Double Trouble, which is super obvious. Then you keep trekking up and at some point you'll climb back up above a gorge that's one of the longer gorges you encounter and that's prime time. The wood sounds like it's midway down the gorge. Probably you would have to access it from river left based on the photo I saw which involves finding a way across the river.

It would be rad if you were able to chop away any of that.
The trail actually doesn't go right by Double Trouble. Unless you're paying attention you'll pass it but the trail does come by the creek again near Prime Time. It's not too difficult to find if you know the general area and listen for that deep rumble.

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2016   #12

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Forest service says they are opening the gate today!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #13
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
FYI, while setting safety at the wood pile at Double Trouble, Ian noticed that there's a fairly large slightly submerged log stick out 6 feet or so into the boil line. It's not really a hazard if you're in your boat, but could be a hazard for a swimmer grabbing a rope. Something to consider while calculating your big hole tolerance.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #14

Denver, Colorado
Rock gauge under the bridge was about 2.5ish tuesday. Felt like a low flow up to to med/low on the bottom. Hard to tell on the gauge rock as some of the marks appear to have been worn off over the last year or two. Natural flow declines are partially offset by a bump in long draw this week, but I think it will be lower this weekend. My guess is that big south will be low this weekend, and then bone zone min to done after that. Get it while you can!
Old 07-07-2016   #15

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Rock gauge under the bridge was about 2.5ish tuesday. Felt like a low flow up to to med/low on the bottom. Hard to tell on the gauge rock as some of the marks appear to have been worn off over the last year or two. Natural flow declines are partially offset by a bump in long draw this week, but I think it will be lower this weekend. My guess is that big south will be low this weekend, and then bone zone min to done after that. Get it while you can!
Thanks! I think there's a bunch of people planning on being in there sunday, my group included.
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #16

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
How many marks are on the rock?

I typically let other people look, but after a while there is no excuse for not having this knowledge.

On Sunday I counted three lines, with the water lapping the bottom of these.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016   #17

Denver, Colorado
The rock had 6 marks. They used to all be visible. I think that the lower 3 are getting washed off and the top 3 (ie 4, 5, 6) are still visible.

My rough calibration is as follows (1 = bottom mark, 6 = top mark):
1.5 = min
2 = low
3-4 = med
6+ = high

On tuesday the water was just below where the 3rd mark should be, but I couldn't see it, so my guess was 2.5. Dropping fast.

I feel like the perfect level for slideways is in the 2-3 range and that above 4, lots of folks will start walking slideways (or at least I do, the ferry looks tough!).

The gauge is tricky, because it measures takeout flow, but not how much is coming from long draw vs. natural flow, which may make the upper 1/2 of the run feel higher or lower than the rough calibration notes I have.

Also, some folks like to run wierd creek, but I prefer the hike in at corral creek trail. Its a short mostly downhill hike into right where wierd creek meets the big south proper. You avoid the wierd creek jank fest and have to pay a modest fee of shouldering your boat.
Old 07-07-2016   #18
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If someone gets in there at bone zone flows this year (you Ft Fun guys know who you are), it would be cool to repaint those lines. It's not really necessary, but I like data.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #19

Denver, Colorado
Spoke to the long draw guys today. The water in long draw has dropped below the reservoir spill level and is now being controlled by head gate release. This means more of a flatline flow with a steady decline vs. the steeper natural flow decline with diurnal variation. The guys expect 160-175 cfs coming out of long draw this weekend stating that they might do a slight bump this weekend up to 175ish if they need it.

Heard a story of a paddler getting pinned in the wierd crack in the rock below the spout eddy in slideways. That eddy used to be backed up by a woodpile, but the woodpile blew out a few years ago. Water now flows out of the back of the eddy and into the crack in the rock. Sounds like this could have been serious but turned out ok. Not a bad idea to look at that next time you are there.
Old 07-08-2016   #20
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
If someone gets in there at bone zone flows this year (you Ft Fun guys know who you are), it would be cool to repaint those lines. It's not really necessary, but I like data.
That would be nice, or even installing a metal ruler bolted into the current gauge rock or something. Joe and I painted the current "gauge" after we ran it at minimum several years back. I think we put in at Peterson and the actual river flow was probably 150-160. The lowest line on the rock was as close as we could spray to the water.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote