Old 07-05-2006   #1
Costa Rica Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via MSN to crcreeker
big south flows?

I'm a kayaker from Costa Rica on visit for another week, till 07/12. I have been paddling for many years and am a competent class 5 boater, done first descents, expedition boating & stuff in Costa Rica and South America, etc.

Got to get on Oh-Be, Gore, and Bailey among other stuff on this trip, but would like to go for one of the big runs in colo, I have heard a lot of good things about the Big South, and would be stoked to get on it, before he water's all gone...

Is it still worth it?

Got no one to do it with, anyone up for it?

Ferdinand Steinvorth

crcreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #2
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Did the full run through Spencer Heights today (Wed.). If the level on the gauge for Weird Creek (La Poudre Pass Creek) holds it is at the low end of runnability for the upper half and the lower half is still great. The big rapids in the upper half are very "makeable" at this flow but you've got to deal with some elbow bashing to get to them (worth it fo sure IMO, fucking beautiful and unique pool drop gorges uncharacteristic of CO). Find a reliable partner and go git sum.
P.S. Roberst tunnel has stopped releasing but they bumped up Joe Wright so Spencer's is at a nice medium flow right now and the pineview gauge should probably remain the same at least for now (2.4 on the way home tonight 7:30pm).

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Ferdinand, check your PM..
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #4
think it'll still be going this weekend? Cool weather these next few days might cause it to drop, but I heard prediction of warmer fri, sat, sun, so I was hoping that would bring things back up

Anyone willing to show 2 first timers down Sat?
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote