Old 03-13-2006   #21
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
big S

Vive, I am in. thanks for getting this together. I am going to bring a hand saw, z drag pulley system, a cooler full of beer. I will also bring some snow shoes. also FYI, April and I are having a house warming the 7th (Friday), the friday before. Dano, if you (and Carmia) wanted to crash here the night before we head up, you are welcome.

I say we start with that log at the entry of primetime (seems to be the biggest pain in the ass to portage) and work our way down.
i will probably just do Saturday and maby try to get some turns on Sunday (Diamond will be good to go), especially if we crash at Brians cabin.

Is there a way we could get the ok from forest service to bring in a few gas powered saws, they would probably be cool if we ran it by them.
Or maby thats a really bad idea (to try to work with them)...

-el jefe

ps can you do the week after in May? Big Blue could ride again if so.

adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006   #22
If you guys are in a wilderness area, leave the gas at home. I know a guy (mut on this forum) who went thru a lengthy legal process for rappelling into Vallecito with a chainsaw.
It is worth the stealth of a hand saw. Fold up, sharp bow saws work great. Plus they get your forearms in shape for paddle grip.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #23
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey All,

The lodging for saturday night has been solidified... Lets plan to meet at the downtown mugs at 8:00am saturday morning. My rig is going and can fit 4-5.

Plan to bring food for saturday and sunday and any gear you can contribute we'll probably hit patches of snow heading to prime time. I have a few umm hand saws and an old climbing rope and hardware for a pulley system.

If you have any questions PM me or give me a call 988-5502. I'm hoping interest is still there, lets get er done...
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #24
tree mann
[b][i]NO CHAINSAWS[/i][/b]

No chainsaws in wilderness areas! The Big South is in a federally designated wilderness area - Commanche Peak Wilderness. The law is no motorized anything (snowmobiles etc.) You would have to clean up with hand saws, axes, z-drags, or other non-motorized tools.
timmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #25
Bham, Washington
I haven't heard from anyone... Anyone planning to help/commit to this weekend?

If two days is too daunting we could just head up one day...
Old 04-07-2006   #26
The next zone, .
Get er done!

Get in there and get her done!

About the chainsaw – you know me – big supporter of the chainsaw but sometimes handsaws work just as well. Example = Last year that damn log in the paralyzer after 5 or 6 attempts to pull it out and cut it out with a chain saw Kevin rappelled down with a handsaw and had er out in 15 min flat! Best part about handsaws is that they work much better under water!

Another thing to think about is that it is not illegal to hike with a chainsaw. You can if you wish carry one through a wilderness area with out runnin the thing. I did this once – the ranger I ran into could not understand why I would do such a thing (we were only very, very close to and not actually in/on the wilderness area) - but until you fire it up you are legal.

I know others have posted on this but cut the logs into chunks that are about 12” to 18” long leave them in the stream - let high water flush them down stream.

Not sure if the SB rangers read the Buzz – but if they do and want to run into your crew it would be pretty easy.

Good luck
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #27
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Hey Force,

I talked to Evan today and we're in. Sunday I presume...

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #28
Bham, Washington
Sunday it is, I suppose. We can rally in my rig.