Old 06-20-2010   #1
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
beware of camp poachers!

Just got off from an awesome four days of running the last of the big water in the Gorge. Camped at our favorite spot. Double dipped it Friday, came back tired and smiling, ready to kick it by the fire with my Jack. Imagine our surprise when we saw about five cars surrounding the Jeep we left at our site with as many tents spread all around, and a large group around our fire pit burning all the wood we brought! We were pretty pissed, but thought we'd be cool and share since the whole campground was packed. Some were going on a commercial trip, but the others actually had boats on top. Com'on fellow boaters!! They refused to make room for more tents or our trailer. Said they didn't know who's Jeep full of gear it was and there was nobody there, so they just poached it! Said we should've left more stuff there to mark it, like the boats while we were out boating. Huh? My bad, should've left a cooler of beer for them to drink by the fire. Next time I'll spray paint my name on the trees for those morons.
Ended up having to move two cars to get the Jeep out of the middle of the camp, parked our trucks in the road, and drank there (slept there, too). All in all it was a fantastic night as we emptied a bottle and told stories with boaters from either side of the camp, plus a banjo/fiddle player from another camp. What a blast! You guys are awesome, and thanks for showing us the new section!! Love to go out with you again!
Any boaters out there ever wanting to share a site, I will gladly move over for a beer, and then pass my bottle around the fire. Bonus if we run together the next day. No need to be A holes and poach the whole damn site!!

maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The poachers sucked but it was still an awesome time! Besides, they were treated to punk rock and the Texas Tornados at 1am so we kind of made up for it. Thanks again for the great runs. You and Scottie are the best!

"It is not death or dying which is tragic, but rather to have existed without fully participating in life is the deepest personal tragedy." - Edward Abbey
chingaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
this was not me, as i was on the poudre, and i super size with you, but it is a spot for 15 to 20 tents. a little not cool to not have left you room though.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #4
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Waa Waa Waa----
So someone took your unused campsite.... If that guy "Jack" was any man he woulda opened his can of Whoop-Butt and cleared em out..... Hardly worth the major case! You SOB's kept us up ALL NIGHT LONG with that darn Rock and Roll music and hooten and griping.... Waa Waa Waa!

Don't you have a slide over camper?

Try being a useful member of society instead of river scum. We heard you wretching in the bushes at 4 am.

The problem with having a Jethro Tull cover band is getting people to listen to Jethro Tull...
IcantRide55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #5
Summit County, Colorado
Had a similar issue on Brown's this past weekend. My husband and I put on super early Saturday morning with plans to snag a site above the rapids so we could meet our friends that were coming down early evening, and so that they would not have to run the rapids at dusk. He and I set up camp, put up the tent, roll-a-table, chairs, piled up our firewood, set up the firepan, set up the groover, etc. and hung out for about an hour enjoying the scenery before hopping back on the river to finish the run. Had a blast running Brown's, then drove back up to Ruby and put on again about 3 hours later. We turned the corner right above the site we had selected and set up at, and low and behold there is a commercial gear boat and guide at our camp with all of his stuff set up and our stuff piled in a big mess on the beach. He literally broke down all of our gear and threw it down on the beach. He, of course, had his entire kitchen set up exactly where ours was originally, along with a bunch of chairs, and was planning on using our firewood. My husband pretty much lost it before he was even off the boat and on the beach. There really was nothing that could be done, as we were waiting on our friends to arrive later in the evening, and he was waiting on his commercial group to arrive that afternoon. We couldn't go farther down because 1. we didn't want our friends to have to run any of the rapids at dusk or in the dark, and 2. the lower campsites were most likely already taken as well. The guide told us that we couldn't reserve any sites - we knew this and explained that we had come down that morning (probably around 1030) and set up and stayed there for at least an hour before getting back on the river. It is first come, first served, which is exactly what we did. The guide wasn't willing to move, and neither were we, so we shared the site and moved our stuff up higher and ended up having a stellar view of six 14er's that the commercial group never got to see (sweet revenge). It was an awesome evening and the guide came up and apologized, along with my husband, and beers and stories were exchanged. All I know, is that we will NEVER do that again, doesn't matter who was right or wrong in the situation. I would just ask, Mr. Rasta Guide, next time: please don't break down our stuff and throw it in a messy pile on the beach - we would not do that to you. Kindly set up away from our stuff so that confrontations full of such anxiety will not happen. He assumed that we had left our stuff from the previous night and were "reserving the camp for a second night". Not the case at all. He didn't even see our tent. Next time I'll be sure to leave a note, but I doubt there will be a next time. Get the site and stay there - best thing to do! He said he probably showed up at our campsite just as we turned the corner and were out of site to finish out the run. If only we had waited 5 more minutes.....
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #6
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Campsites are tough especially if there is alot of room as it sounds. Burning their wood is plain wrong and I surely would of kept you up literally all night, puked under your vestibule, shat on your hood. Any attempts of retaliation would be met with firearms.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #7
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

What company was he with?
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #8
Summit County, Colorado
River Runners
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Have you considered calling RR to voice a complaint?
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #10
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Just putting it here is enough

This will get back to the burnouts bosses and he will have to answer why he did what he did. had it been me, he would of been explining it to the sheriff in front of their customers, but I'm up tight like that.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote