Old 06-28-2013   #31
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
slamkal,don't get too comfortable after moose and think it turns into a float-n-bloat with coolers,ect and much bigger flows. it's not the MFS after pistol creek at low flows. we had just as many entirely unavoidable hang ups and tight spots above as below. just the character the river.

those clips i put up from my trip are both from below moose creek as an example. on the day we did the iv's past ladle, i think, because we broke down our fly rods for that stretch.

anyway, have fun and after day 1, nobody is going to be looking at you thinking "i can't believe that asshole talked me out of my 18fter,ice and a cot!" .

we sank our beer in the river the whole trip, survived and had a good trip overall.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #32
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post

The edict has come down that this is now an official ELF trip. No roll a cots. Camp chairs must be crazy creeks. Etc.

I told the guy with the 18' raft that him and his guests either need a much smaller boat or just bring IK's

And there will be enough IK's and shredders so any boats carrying a cooler or dry box are rowed solo

I'm downsizing to a 14' cat and putting 1/3 my gear on my 12' cat that one of our passengers will row. When I say 1/3 I really mean 1/6 of the gear I really wanted the river to push ...

Turns out I've spent the last month rigging the WRONG BOAT!!

We are considering flying a few coolers from Hamilton to moose creek. Anyone do this? Have pricing for a load?

It seems like the section to moose creek is going to be especially difficult, empty cooler bays can at least hold two days worth of beer

I think the section after moose may be equally difficult. But we can layover a day or so and eat our food load down!!!

All this planning and change of plans, meanwhile the forecasted 15 days before our trip of 100 degree days will probably push the level down to pack cat only levels!!
You eat and than shit your favorite meal right? I wonder what the eat-- to shit poundage is. So much quasi-- scientific cooler info here, I'm sure someone who is not only full of shit--but measures it frequently could convert the ratio? Pretty sure that a kayaker not only weighs like shit ( heavy, and lots of peanuts involved) buttress

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013   #33
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Nearly River Wide Cedar at 45 mile ish

Just off the Selway and we encountered an almost riverwide cedar tree blocking the channel at 45 ish mile. There was room for our biggest boat 16 foot to just drop to the right side of it. There's a good eddy above it, on the left side where you can scout it, and pull back over to the right. It was hard to determine if the rocks on the right were going to be a problem but we didn't have a choice and it went.

Definitely Dangerous for an unsuspecting person.

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #34
Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
I've got a smaller boat I can bring to replace the 18' cat, but if I pack it with the same amt of gear I'm only saving about 150lbs of gear and it will draft a lot deeper. I have to support one other plus some of the heavier gear will get divided among the group.

My weight savings will be to switch a dry box out for a drop bag, lose the passenger seat for a Paco, and a few other tricks. As long as there is some room to maneuver a smaller cat only saves me about a foot of overall width. If I can position the boat better I can more than compensate against a boat at higher capacity
Having run this river a week ago, I believe width is more important than length. Make that, narrowness is more important than shortness.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #35
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Just got back. Put in at 1.65 and took out at around 1.1. My 156R got hung up in Ping Pong at the top. I might have done better had I scouted but just got out and pushed it around with our kayaker. Got stuck in Ladle for a bit. Nothing a rope and some pushing couldn't handle. Wouldn't want to see the top much lower than it was in a 16 foot boat. If I had more time to plan for low water, I would definitely round up a smaller boat!
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #36
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
shit ... 1.1 today. Was hoping for 1' on saturday the 13th. We will be dumping stuff off in the truck at the putin figuring what we really need to bring ...

widest boat is now a 66" frame. Two 14' sb. One 14' super puma, two 13' sb, one 4 person shredder, one 14' ocelot and one 12' maravia cat, and one puma. This is for 14 people so we will be light on our feet ...

have a couple of wings so may not even bring tents ... please rain for the next four days!!!
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #37
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
ran 1.5-1.2 the 4th-8th.

I ran a 14' sb OTTER. 1 128 cooler not that full, 2 half full bills bags, 1 124 lb passenger, 2 chairs, 2 pacos, 2 empty water jugs, the garbage bag & the usual accessories: repair, pump, straps etc.

Left home: all drinks, tent, most clothes, menu was planned around weight, did not carry water on the river, just 2 nalgenes each.

I have pretty extensive low water experience. multiple MFS trips below 1.8. Lots of day runs at well below recommended minimums.

I never had to push off a rock. Had to shift weight 3? times, never more than 5 seconds on a rock.

That said the others in my group did not fare as well. they packed heavier and had to get out and push several times. biggest boat was 16'sb. it squeezed through, but barely. the 8" width mattered.

Any lower at launch and it would be a 14' cat backpack trip. below .7 and dropping would be an IK trip and my tolerance for rocks is very high.

The ranger claimed to have launched at .1 in a 12' boat with a backpack of gear. "get out and pull the top 12 miles"

summary: still go but leave everything home.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #38
pocatello, Idaho

<iframe src="" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="">Selway river Paraside through ping pong 1.5' july 4 2013</a> from <a href="">Lance Clark</a> on <a href="">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Old 07-12-2013   #39
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Would love to see the videos you shot at Wolf Creek. I was in the orange AIRE 156R when you were on the rock filming.
Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013   #40
pocatello, Idaho
I'll post them after I edit them. over an hour shot that day. No one wants to see all that