Old 12-07-2004   #1
psych teacher, raft guide, slacker
Send a message via MSN to yoder
beta on Honduras

Hey all,

I just took a job teaching in Honduras, and am looking for some beta on the rivers. I will be in touch with rios honduras, and understand there is a book. What do you think- creek boat or play??

I will be living in San Pedro Sula. Any good runs nearby??

yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Brian, I speant a couple of winters in Honduras in La Ceiba. The paddling there is mostly on the Congrejal. However there are runs all over the North Coast. San Pedro is not far from the paddling however I don't know that there is anything really super close. The boating there is steep. Lots of creeks and high gradient. The congrejal has some play but mostly Honduras is about running steep creeks. Even the congrejal paddles like a creek with slides and drops between huge grantie boulders. That said it would be worth having both boats there. There are some good holes. My friend Andrew wrote a guide book that can help you out and there are some ex-pats in the La Ceiba area that paddle a lot. Have fun!

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #3
Paddling Since: 1993
I spent last winter in honduras. Mike is correct about the rio. large boulders and steep drops. I brought my prijon release. It was a good boat. pretty good rocker. it worked out alright. I would have liked to have a creek boat as well though. The only problem was that when i got in country the locals there tried to tax me on the worth of my boat. I lied and told them i didnt have any $$. They took my pasport # and nothing ever came of it, however it could have been an ordeal. so heads up. I worked for a company called Omega Tours. The jungle lodge is right across the road from a sketchy put in on the cangrejal. Anyways the lodge is super cheap. Like 8$ a night. Udo the owner is an old school German paddeler. Its a good place. Also a bit up the coast is a drainage into the rio Danto. The Danto is just what i imagined in my minds eye what a jungle rio would be like. Sic! Anyways, have fun and take malaria meds b4 you get there. I had a bad time w/ it for about a month and spent a bit of time in a shady hospital in La Cebia. Have fun. Go check out Utilla and go diving. It's sweet.
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #4
psych teacher, raft guide, slacker
Send a message via MSN to yoder

thanks fellahs!

Keep that info flowin! Anyone else been there??

yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #5
Yoder-whats up? This is tyler West, I guided with you on the Poudre for a few years with RTR. I went to Honduras a few winters back and had a great time of it. I worked for a guy named Jorge Salaverri who owns La Moskitia Ecoaventuras in La Ceiba. He was a great guy and let me live in his house where the office is for free. I was a block away from the sea, beautiful. Cant argue with what else was said about the cangrejal, great steep creek like, and a ton of fun, lots of good drops. I would suggest a creek boat, but I only saw the river when it was low, I was told that durring the rainy season it gets HUGE! Any way, Jorge always will give anyone work if you wanna guide at all. How long are you there for? enjoy the carribe, and get out to the islands if you get a chance. Take care,
Tylermon is offline   Reply With Quote