Mountain Buzz banner

Beta on Cheeseman Res. to Deckers?

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  melody 
#1 ·
Can any offer any info on this section of the S. Platte? There doesn't seem to be much info out there, so I think there must be something wrong with it. All I can find is class IV, about 6 mi, and a hike in. Any more details? Thanks.

#2 ·
agreed

KC - i hear you, and was just having this same discussion (even talked about putting up a post) with a friend of mine - seems like more people would be into the run, but i never see people talking (or typing) about it. especially now, with limited stuff going - anyways, i have no info for you other than i share your view?

so - what's the deal with this run???

#3 ·
It's discussed briefly in CRC 2 but I have never done it. I know it flows through the Wigwam Club grounds but not sure if they are as hostile as the folks at Sportsmans Club upstream. That's about all I know but it does sound like there are some tough rapids, at least by CRC description.

#6 ·
I walked to the bottom of the dam about 8 years ago now, before I kayaked and before 9/11 closures. I was trying to fish the area and within a half mile of the dam, the river walls became sheer granite rocks on both sides with no river side access. I do not recall any rapids to speak of within that short distance, but if there are any mandatory portages or sieves, I could see it being very difficult. Doesn't CRC reference one or two mandatory portages? The walk is fairly easy, about a mile along a gravel access road (and 10x easier than the Chukar Trail by comparison) mostly downhill at about 8% (for the DWB pickups to access the gage).

Anyway, the stuff going through wigwam club actually looks fun - I suspect their "fish features" form some pretty nice play waves at current flows of 300+. I bet they would love to see some punk-ass kayakers workin "their" features! I also recall seeing a barb wire fence accross the river at their upstream property line, but it seemed to be several feet above the water surface (this memory is over 8 years old, so be heads up).

Someone on this board was talking about running it last year or the year before in a shredder. Any trip report or beta from that string? Also, you should be able to call DWB to see if they allow access down the road and into the canyon below. The other option would be to walk the entire run length along the trail that mostly follows the river - the trail head is just upstream of the wigwam club property. Later.

#7 ·
Any update or new beta??

Did anyone ever make this run based on the previous posts in this string?? I was going to be on the FR this weekend, and thought this might be a possibility at current flows. Any update and beta, including access, portage, and difficulty, would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, how would this compare to Waterton, my other choice in the area with a similar hike?

All info appreciated. Later all.

#8 ·
i ran this section about 5 years back. we had to put on at about 530ish am if i am not mistaken... boulder choked, sieves, undercuts. some great drops and some messy ones.. .i think we had 160 cfs and i was later told 210 is too much 180 was premium....we took out at the first take-out.. more "goods" i think are below this first take-out......on the way into the second gorge or something... section maybe.....heads up stuff... be careful running the first drop in the darkish hours of the morning....easy portages around their "mess" in the river(wigwam club) have fun,, scout plenty!

#9 ·
I did this run about 5 years ago. Has a significant Pain in the arse factor - Including carrying your boat about 1/2 mile(or was it 2 miles?) to get to the put-in @ the bottom of the damn. Then carry again when you are done. Definitely a full day of boating from Denver.

Better scenery than whitewater - in my opinion. But if you are there for the canyon might as well be in your boat. :)

Cliff

#10 ·
I gave this a shot about 3 weekends ago. We found the road to the dam closed. I'm guessing it was due to the fire and it looked like it had been closed for a while. Without access to the dam, we guessed the walk to be another 2 miles to get to the dam + the normal mile down the dam. We decided it wouldn't be worth it. As if our boating options in the south Platte weren't already limited by dams and land owners...

#13 ·
Cheesman Resevoir to Deckers

Did it in 94 or 95, so don't remember much of the rapids (except that we portaged at least one riverwide seive). walk to the river is short and painless, you get a couple miles of pool drop classic south platte class 3, (maybe easy 4? can't remember), beautiful canyon (it is a great hike) but the canyon opens up and the rapids end before you hit the Wigwam Club (private fishing land).

Put-in wasn't a problem at all back then, but as soon as we floated under the Wigwam Club's river wide fence someone started yelling at us and told us if we didn't get out right away he would call the sheriff. Of course by this time we could only take out on their property so he gave all four of us and our boats a ride in the back of his truck to our vehicle in Deckers. He saved us the 2 mile float out through their "fish improved" river bed, which is a bunch of river wide shallow rock bars. He wasn't very happy with us, but we appreciated the ride cause it was better than the shallow float out, or the other option - you can take out before floating under the fence, but it is a steep uphill hike (river left).

something worth doing once, just be aware there is at least one seive portage that might be harder to find at higher flows. we were in there at lower flows so it was easy to get out, but the portaging was a bit involved on river right along the steep rock wall. I'd say the Royal Gorge at any flow is a better day out cause you don't piss anyone off and there is "play" year round, at least more than this run has. but you got to try everything once, right?

Melody

Where are you paddling this winter?
Paddle in Ecuador with Small World Adventures! www.swa.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.