Old 08-11-2006   #11
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
No disrespect intended. I have the utmost of respect for all the fine ladies out there. Yeah, I'll be there tonight. Saturday and Sunday are still up in the air; we'll talk.

Royal Gorge is a small step up from Brown's and maybe a little easier than the Numbers. But the issue is that where there are rapids, a lot of it is gorged out. You can walk Sunshine (not a bad walk, but not a good walk, either). I don't know if you can walk Sledgehammer or not: the walls are pretty steep and, with the lead in after Sunshine, it's a decent length rapid. The other place of concern is Wallslammer. Last week when we were there, the girl we were with flipped in the hole and pinned pretty firmly (i.e. boat not moving at all) on the wall just below and had to swim out. This is a shitty place to swim as the wall on the right is sheer and the left bank consists of the concrete viaduct wall. There are not a whole lot of great eddies, and there's a good amount of solid III boogie before and after.

I'm not trying to scare you away from the Gorge, it is a beautiful run, but I just want you to have the information you need to make an educated decision. The Gorge is a committing run you don't want to take someone down who's going to decide halfway that they don't want to be there. If she's a good sport, comfortable in her boat and in the water, and won't freak out on you, the Gorge is the way to go. Have fun.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #12
Indian Hills, Colorado
Spooked a big 'ole rattler on the Sunshine scout last week...not to mention it's a tight-rope walk along a big metal pipe. I was more comfortable in the rapid then on the scout. Gorge is pretty in that "I hope knowone drops a penny on me" sort of way.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #13
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for all the beta, we are running Pinnacle through the Gorge on Sunday. CUKayakGirls description of the Gorge was enough to hook both me and the chica. I am hoping someone will join us being that we will only have one car. I've made another post specifically about the trip, but for those of you reading about it here is you want to come for 17 miles of water lovin fun then let me know.

For those of you who haven't check up the October Hole itÂ’s worth the drive. Props to those that put in the hard work to give us some late season play.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote