Old 08-10-2007   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Beta: 18ft on the Blue?

So we're planning a first-time trip August 18 or 19th on the Lower Blue River. Some of us only have 18ft rafts. With the post's Kara's been putting up about letting more out of Green Mountain Res., can you guys tells me if it's realistic to take an 18ft boat down there? ...or is that a silly question.
Thanks in advance!

megeggleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I wouldn't do it. You'd want a lot of water to float that much boat down but if you had that much water you'd probably have problems with the bridges at the end of the run. Someone with more experience rafting on the Lower Blue may be able to give some specific beta on what flows you would need for an 18'er but I would say you'd want at least a grand in there. I've never seen anyone take that big of a boat down there. I know people who've made it down in a 16'er at 850 but said it was very difficult. Ideally, your looking at something under 14', in my opinion.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Just getting a 18 footer in the water would be a challenge- that put-in isn't very raft-friendly to begin with.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #4
Amsterdam, Netherlands
the take out is kinda a bitch too
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #5
Gnarnia, Colorado
Taking an 18 footer down the lower Blue would be the ultimate exercise in frustration. The fun factor would be very, very low becasue of the put-in and take-out. And, with only 750 (or less) the run would be tough in that big of a raft. Go run Grizzly to New Castle on the Colorado. Plenty of water down there.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #6
Dillon, Colorado
You would spend more time putting in and taking out than on the river. That coupled with all of maneuvering and abuse your boat would take while on the river I wouldn't suggest it.
As stated above and I agree, I have never seen a boat that BIG on there; even when its high.
Braznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

Thanks for the info guys-I'd seen the put-in at the Blue and that's about it. We've decided to do an overnight on Pumphouse instead. We'll save the Blue for duckies. Well, since you know where we'll be that weekend, you also know where one hell of a party's at!

megeggleg is offline   Reply With Quote