Old 09-09-2011   #1
, Colorado
Best Westwater Campsites...any suggestions?

Looking to do an overnighter in Westwater. Never been.
What are the best campsites if you have about 9 people or so looking to have a gooood time...I've heard Little Dalores is a nice one. We're looking for something private with scenic views, preferably as far away from the ranger station as possible....if ya catch my drift

Sedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #2
Summit County, Colorado
Do you have a permit? You'll need one. You will get your campsite after the ranger has checked all of your gear. A lot of where you end up depends on how early you wake up or arrive at the boat ramp and are ready to go. They won't check your stuff until you're pretty much ready to push off. Another factor is the size of your group. You can always request a campsite, but if there is another large group going and your group is smaller the ranger will probably put you at a smaller sight. That being said, all of the campsites on WW are excellent and far away from the ranger station. Upper and Lower Dolores are great for large groups. There are some good hikes from those campsites. Hades is nice for a smaller group. Like I said, it's kind of a crap shoot until you check in with the ranger and see where they're willing to allow you to camp, based on other groups launching the same day. Check out this link for a list of all the WW campsites, some descriptions, and a few photos: Colorado - Westwater

summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #3
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
What summitraftgirl said...

I prefer the Dolores sites because of the hike up to the water fall (when its flowing) and to the petroglyphs.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #4
In, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Another thing to consider is if you want to run the rapids the first day or second and get yourself a map if you have not already.
ksmclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
At this point you are calling in for a cancellation since September and October are booked, unless you want November- which is nice because there are fewer people and the Little Dolores waterfall is frozen and amazing. Call between 8-12 Monday through Friday for a permit: (435) 259-7012

Upper Little D is my favorite camp.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #6
Calhan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Little D
brmidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
I have camped at Hades a few times with groups of 10 or less. Excellent site with access to the Little D surf wave.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #8
Erie, Colorado
I second Hades - best site in the canyon. Great beach.

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote