Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-16-2007   #11
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Am I missing something? The input I provided was perfectly legit and constructive, (i.e. no one mentioned soaking a cooler in bleach/water after use to fend off the stinkies). I simply couldn't help myself and had to poke a little fun.

I really do think that you are overcomplicating a river trip and can make your life a lot easier. Even if you are combining coolers, you won't do yourself any injustice by throwing empty cans into the mix if you clean it out afterwards.

PARTY BOY??? WTF? Who put you up to that?

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #12
I would suggest a cheep easy way to deal with the empties that will keep the cooler from getting the stank. Get a 3-5 gal bucket and take the lid and make a cut in it the shape of a smiley face that is big enough to get a crushed can through. This way they cant pop back out since you leave the flap intact. Then get some burlap sacks. Use one for trash and one for cans. Empty the can bucket daily in to the sac so you have plenty of room for the next day. I always burn as much garbage and leftover food as possible to keep the volue and stank to a minium. I am going to try a new method to deal with the garbage stank over the 4th of july. I got a box of that industrial plastic cling and will wrap the individual bags before going in to the gunney sacks. Good Luck and enjoy

oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #13
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Low-cost food scams

If you use a cooler, put a couple straps around it rather than using duct tape, which gums up the cooler. I used to add some closed-cell weatherstrip around the top.

I'm keen on York Packs, about $50-60. The gaskets need replacing every couple years, but otherwise they're great: no sharp corners, built in handle. I've only had one leak, after dumping in a huge hole in Grand Canyon.

There was a thread a month or two ago on this very subject– lots of good ideas (try searching cheap dry box).

I save those squarish plastic jars that hold roast peanuts, etc. (Planters Party Size 2 lb.) and also the smaller sort in which rice, etc. is sold. They pack really well in a kitchen box and are pretty much crushproof and waterproof. Great for crackers, pasta, candy, and stuff you want to keep dry. Along with the ubiquitous Zip-Loc bags.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007   #14
Gnarnia, Colorado
ihowemt - check out this book. It's well worth the money and has very detailed information about trip planning, packing, menu planning, loading coolers, etc. River Otter Handbook for Trip Planning - Maria Eschen: Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics

BTW - Burning leftover food and trash isn't the greatest idea. It takes a hot fire to burn this kind of stuff to the point where it won't be an attractor for wildlife, it stinks and if you plan properly you shouldn't have much trash or leftover food.

Also - consider getting a few drag bags for beers and empty beer cans - they can be easily rinsed over the course of the trip, which will keep the smell to a minimum.

Drag Bags - drag bag on NRS - kayaking gear rafting supplies and boating equipment

Rocket Boxes - Surplus Rocket Box - 20mm Ammo Can
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007   #15
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
seems like everyone is pretty much on the same page about ammo boxes. I also meant to mention another reason they are so good, other than being cheap, solid, dry, they make excellent garbage conatiners when they are empty. For example, I use 2 for charcoal. as soon as they are empty, start crushing everything that wont burn, and put it in the boxes.

while it is indeed true, it takes a hot fire to reduce trash/food scraps, your fire should be in a fire pan, and IMO ALWAYS , regardless of regs. this allows for an easy clean up, and again all the ashes/junk from the fire go directly into the ammos.

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote