Old 04-25-2004   #1
Send a message via AIM to mattdanitz
Best way to lock boat to my car?

I have a yakima rack with the stackers. I was wondering what is the best way to keep it from getting stolen while on top of my car. Can I just lock it with a chain and lock or is there a better idea? Thank you very much.

mattdanitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004   #2
Like most things (bikes, boards, skis, etc), I think a lock for your boat is a deterrent. The more intimidating you make your security look, the less attractive it will seem to a would-be thief.

I use a cable about the size of my pinky finger & pass it through as many holes on the boat & rack that I can find (security loop to seat to rack to basket on rack to bike rack and so on). When I travel & end up leaving my boats on top of my car in front of a road-side hotel, I use 2 separate cables & locks: one on the front & one on the back.

The bottom line is that some people are just dicks. They will take your stuff no matter how much thought you put into securing it. For those people, we have bottomless cliffs, avalanches, strainers, undercuts, poisonous snakes/spiders/scorpions, and all sorts of other stuff that karma uses to balance everything out.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #3
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
2 padlocks keyed alike
2 cables
one on either end
wrapped tight around each bar
so the boat wont slide either way
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #4
Originally Posted by LSB
wrapped tight around each bar
so the boat wont slide either way
Just a thought, and not that it will make a big difference, but a tight cable is probably easier to cut with a saw than one with slack.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #5
I'm a big fan of cables with padlocks as well.

I try to make sure the locks and cables are extremely visable. My theory is that this keeps the not quite honest opportunist from trying an unsuccessful grab and go that cuts straps, dents the roof, messes up the rack, and generally creates a major hassle. The pro thief scum dogs with bolt cutters etc. are going to get the boat anyway; it's the fence riders I try to dissuade.

I also stash an extra set of keys somewhere in the car because I am always losing those dang things.
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I'm not a spoon.
dvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #6
Socratic Philosopher
Master Lock has an integrated, one piece, cinching cable lock. I have used it successfully for quite some time. Find 'em at Lowes.
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #7
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Locking kayak-

Most new boats have metal bars bolted fore and aft of the cockpit with "security screws" that serve the dual purposes of securing your kayak and rescue attachment points for pin situations. Both my Wavesports Ace and Liquid Logic Huck have these. Be sure to run your cable through those points rather than webbing which is easily cut.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004   #8
Shred Ready Ball Gag

Shred Ready makes this ball gag looking thing that is pretty cool. Its a cable with a ball on the end. Wrap the cable through all your boats, and shut the ball in the door.

KenDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote