Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-10-2011   #1
San Louis Obisbo, California
Paddling Since: 2005
Best waterfalls to practice waterfalls in Idaho or Cali (safe and easy drops)

What are some of the best places you guys know of to run a safe waterfall over and over all day long to practice boofing. I am a solid class 4+ boater and have lived in Idaho my whole life running big water yet have recently moved to California for school, where most creeks are rivers involve many more large drops. Basically I am looking for places to get really comfortable running drops in Idaho, California, or anywhere in-between.

Thanks so much for the help, EHUKAI

ehukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #2
Scott's Drop

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
In Cali, there are lots of places, but the two that immediately come to mind are Pauley Creek, which is a tributary of the North Yuba, and South Silver Creek. I think a Class IV+ boater should have fun on both.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #4
Jemez Springs, New Mexico
I know you said CA/ID but try to break away for a week in Mexico (Micos, El Salto, Santa Maria, etc). Hard to beat I would think for waterfalls. Ben Kvanli out of Texas runs cheap trips down there. Christmas break!
sugra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Where are you living in cali? There are many different techniques to running waterfalls and each has its spot in different locations. Most of the time you can practice waterfall technique on smaller drops, most of the time body position is the most important aspect of running larger waterfalls and protecting yourself. Practice on runs that you can run drops under 10 feet to practice on drops that most likely hurt you. Most of the California waterfalls are on the harder runs in the state: south branch, big kimshew, dinkey creek, upper cherry, roayl gorge. Go to the PNW if you want to huck waterfalls
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #6
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
There aren't a ton of clean waterfalls in Idaho, but you can find a couple on tributaries to the Snake near Twin Falls. One is Box Canyon Falls on Box Canyon Creek and the other is Reilly Creek Falls on, you guessed it, Reilly Creek. Both are spring fed creeks with constant flow, so no need to worry about water levels. Reilly Creek is a little easier to access for multiple runs.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #7
San Louis Obisbo, California
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the initial feedback. I'm living in San Luis Obispo so i am a ways away from most of the boating, I think the closest place is The Kern River. I will be back in Idaho this summer yet I guide on the Middlefork so I don't have as much time as I would like to boat. However, I want to plan a big boating trip as soon as I am out of school and want to work on the aspects of boating that I haven't done as much.
ehukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #8
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
The Micos & El Saltos run on the Rio Valles has to be the two easiest water fall runs on the planet, a week there and you'll have 20' dialed. The Cascades are loaded with basalt ledge drop water falls from easy to record setting, I haven't done this run yet but it is on my to-do list for this year is the EF Lewis waterfall run in So. Washington just outside of Portland looks great.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #9
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Scott's Drop
Yep, Scott's Drop is definitely a good one to start on. You do have to run the Royal Gorge to get there, but the RG just happens to have several other great learning waterfalls like Heath 1 and 2 and Rattlesnake. You may put on the RG as a Class IV rapid runner, but you'll come out the bottom a certified Huckster.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #10
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
personally i think metlako is a great waterfall to start on. go big that way you master the art of falling in half the amount of time.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote