Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-11-2011   #31
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Nice one Leland. Say, is there a way to get river names to show up better on Google Maps, or some other mapping app? For example, searching Google Maps for "South Fork of the Tuolumne River" doesn't work too well.
Searching "Rainbow Falls, South Fork of the Tuolumne River" doesn't find it either.
AmericanWhitewater.org helped me find it, but just wondering if anyone uses a mapping app that has better river info than Google Maps.

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #32
Some of the photo layers/options that are placed in Google Earth are helpful for finding river landmarks and waterfalls. I've used it for Arizona and Utah scouting. But you usually have to zoom in further than you would like, so it's helpful to know the general location first. Google Earth scouting has led to some epic fails of missions... but it's a fun place to start.

Google maps is less detailed.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011   #33
steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
All of the drops in Chile. warm up on ojos de caburgua a 25 footer then run the 70 footer on the middle palguin. Seven teacups is amazing and the runs above it. If you can't get to Chile, stuff around crested butte is pretty good. OBJ for sure. Mesa falls in Idaho too.
mattihill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #34
The Bitterroot, Montana
I've heard object isn't the best to learn inn but I have never been. Want to check it out though.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011   #35
norcal, California
Originally Posted by ehukai View Post
What are some of the best places you guys know of to run a safe waterfall over and over all day long to practice boofing. I am a solid class 4+ boater and have lived in Idaho my whole life running big water yet have recently moved to California for school, where most creeks are rivers involve many more large drops. Basically I am looking for places to get really comfortable running drops in Idaho, California, or anywhere in-between.

Thanks so much for the help, EHUKAI
Hey, so you don't need a waterfall to practice boofing, and as you probably know not every waterfall should be boofed. I haven't run enough of them to be any kind of expert, but every one I've run has been different. To the point where I don't feel like 'waterfall practice' makes a lot of sense to me. Boofing practice, on the other hand, seems like a great idea because the boof for each river feature is different, but you can get a variety of practice on a short section of river until you start to get a feel for it. And then you'll be able to boof when you want to, for waterfalls or other things. Just my $.02.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #36
Houston, Texas
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by ehukai View Post
Thanks for the initial feedback. I'm living in San Luis Obispo so i am a ways away from most of the boating, I think the closest place is The Kern River. I will be back in Idaho this summer yet I guide on the Middlefork so I don't have as much time as I would like to boat. However, I want to plan a big boating trip as soon as I am out of school and want to work on the aspects of boating that I haven't done as much.
Kern river is a nice choice. It is my favorite river.

The river would test your kayaking skills yet you will have fun bumping into the rapids.

The North Fork is know for its wilderness run that even experts will find challenging. The Lower Kern offers exhilarating rapids and the warm water can add to the thrills during summer. Then you can enjoy awesome class IV, V, and V+ whitewater at Kern Below Democrat (Cataracts of the Kern).

And for an appetizer, here's a short Kern River kayaking vid:

Wivecaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #37
Cali:-Head to Brush Creek (North Kern Trib)... don't be tempted to do Dry Meadow Creek. Lots of work for those drops.-Upper and Lower North Kaweah -Pauley Creek (North Yuba Trib) -Low water South Silver (South American Trib)...but you will likely walk Skyscraper and Plastic Surgery, but the tea cups will provide some good practice.Or just stick to river runs like Giant Gap, Burnt Ranch, Chamberlains, 49 to B etc and find all the fun 4-8 foot boofs and practice on them!
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #38
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I was just thinking about this the other day. It seems like it's really difficult to find a good safe waterfall to practice on. I feel like you want a super safe 20-25 footer with a good bit of flow going off it where you can practice using a stroke at the lip and moving your body position to set your angle and so the landing isn't too hard. Even more than that, you want one that's easy to walk back up to in order to practice. It seems hard to practice on anything else because you only have split seconds to make your moves and you want to fall far enough to get feedback as to what's happening... what's your angle, when do you tuck, move your paddle, etc.

What I want is a waterfall simulator. I don't know quite how to do it, but there's an invention here. Something like a bungee cord attached to your kayak where you can fall off something and tuck up. Or something like a ski water ramp but made to simulate going off a waterfall instead of a ramp... that would be sweet... much better than a pool roll session.

How do the expert hucksters learn, short of moving to Chile for a season or having a rubber spine?
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #39
Boulder, Colorado
Go to OBJ, you can really do a lot on that waterfall. If you feel comfortable boofing, 45ing it, and pluging it; focus on good body position, if you don't get it right run it until you do. You should be able to run most waterfalls the average boater will encounter.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #40
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Twin devil falls on Richland is a good one.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote