Old 05-30-2007   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Best town for boating/skiing

So, I obviously have a minor addiction just like the rest of y'all to boating and particularly to skiing. I also have, like many of you, a family. I'm looking for the *perfect* town to enjoy both for as long a season as possible.

We actually lived in the U.P. of Michigan for a while and it was almost perfect, except that the creeks ran dry after mid-summer and there are nearly no jobs. Wisco is nice, but the skiing is a bit lacking and the whitewater doesn't last very long.

We live in Denver now, and it's a really good deal for both, but I'm no fan of the city and my wife is a midwesterner and wants somewhere lush. Montucky looks alright, but the jobs are scarce...

Washington and Orygun are out for in-law reasons.

climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #2
Reno, Sierra Nevada
Paddling Since: 99?
Not claiming "the best" for anybody but check out Reno, Sacremento and Auburn.

Cali creeking is sweet! Skiing is sik and they are all a reasonable drive to the coast.

Golder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
BV, Salida, Steamboat, Glenwood Springs, Bozeman, Boise.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #4
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Aspen...bring a few extra dollars
salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #5
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
SKI/Paddle Towns

Southwest Colorado Rocks......Telluride, Rico, Ridgeway, even Durango
mountainfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993

Hey, I grew up in Durango, then spent half my time between Northern Wisconsin and Durango. Then I went to school in Madison. I spent several years traveling, came back to Durango to visit, and ended up staying for the skiing/boating hanging out in the mountains thing. It's not lush like the midwest, per se, but It's beautiful nonetheless... I didn't think I'd be back so soon, but Durango is home. How can you beat being able to go straight from work to the river in the summer, and a half-hour drive to skiing in the winter?

Just my two cents.

adduthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #7
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, Madison's nice, but we were even looking at *gasp* Green Bay. The Wolf is 20 minutes, the Peshtigo is 45 and the Menominee is a little over an hour. Not the widest selection, but solid. However, the only one that flows into the late summer is the Menominee and while I like it, I get really sick of boating the same damn 1/2 mile stretch of river over and over again while I wait for snow.

Then there's the winter. While there's plenty of snow there's hardly a bump to ski up there unless you like thrashing in the woods or XC skiing.

It's just so hard to justify.

How's the NE? I was looking at Burlington and it looks like there's some good skiing AND boating and that both seasons last pretty well, too.
Old 05-30-2007   #8
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If you are such an avid skiier, how can you be considering anything but the Rockies? Northern Rockies have a lot of water, lots of skiing, but not a lot of jobs. If you can swing it, I can't imagine being anywhere else. Just don't tell anyone I said so.

Oh, and west of the divide up here is pretty lush, at least in comparison to areas east of the divide. Cedars and everything, but not like the midwest.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #9
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, the northern rockies rock, but the no jobs thing is a killer. Having a family puts a serious kibosh on moving someplace without a job.

Hell, alls y'alls reading this, give me a job in finance in a really cool place and I'm there. I have my series 6 and my series 63 and am tremendous at prospecting!
Old 05-30-2007   #10
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
i would check out carbondale, co if i were you, that is where i live, and we have great boating right out of the door, and good skiing about 30 mins away in aspen, or in glenwood at sunlight, check it out, i love it

fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote