Old 08-22-2013   #1
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Best Tandem IK for Mulitday Trips?

I would like to be able to do week long trips in an tandem IK. I've only done day trips mostly on the Payette and the Main Salmon before but am more interested in basically doing a low water trips in Idaho's Desert Rivers and in Utah. I typical do low water rafting trips but I want to have a more ultra-lite load and go during times when people rarely go. I'm looking at the AIRE Outfitter II, the Lynx II, and the Tomcat II. I've kinda ruled out the single IKs because they don't have enough room for gear. The Outfitter has the largest load capacity and is the most stable but might lack in maneuverability. The Lynx II seems like a compromise between the Outfitter and Tomcat with gear vs agility. I have heard a lot of good and bad things about the Tomcat tandems but am happy with its price as long as it will last. I do like the 10 year warranty on the Aire IKs though. How durable are the Tomcats and how long will they typically last?

MountainBuzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #2
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Get the Lynx II. I've got a few friends that have done multi-day self supports in them. Great all-round boat.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #3
Search function. Lots of discussion about this topic lately.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #4
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I did 5 days and 100ish miles on the escalante river in UTAH in a solo tomcat. Had backpacker gear+ canyoneering gear including 60m rope and hardware. Paddled just fine loaded. Have run a solo tomcat as a tandem in a pinch. Was pretty decent. Had capacity for 2 people @175 each. Not a sportscar, but stable enough to get it done.

We rent them and so far have no problems about 5 years in. I do an annual bladder check and they they are fine. zippers run smooth, no holes, valves are fine. I thinks a solo has plenty of capacity for an extended trip. The tandems are far less maneuverable. when they go on trips the solos are snapped up every morning and the tandems get people cajoled into them.

I wouldn't be tempted to push into big class IV in a tomcat like some sportier duckies seem to do, so it is a compromise that way but I'm not sure you should push IV in a tandem lynx or similar.

Haven't paddled any other IK except a bandit which had far less capacity.

I've run cabarton, main, staircase and middle fork payette in a tomcat. Ran cabarton solo in a tandem tomcat. didn't care for it.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #5
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Sotar is making a new IK that is pretty specific to what you are wanting to do. It's called the BMX, and it's designed for self support trips on low volume rivers. Aire makes a boat called the Outfitter that is larger than most IK's, if you are wanting it specifically for overnight trips it would be a good option, and reasonably priced in comparison with the Lynx II
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #6
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Aire Outfitter II

We just bought one yesterday so don't have personal experience but I have been told by reliable sources that the boat can hand lots of whitewater along with payload. I HOPE SO! They're not inexpense. I'm going to make my maiden voyage in a lake this weekend if the wind isn't too bad -- Lake Lowell. The bottom line is that people who packed them up AND ran IIIs and IVs told me it's the best. Very stable, low center of gravity, maneuverable but not as quick as some that don't carry as much load. Take it with a grain of salt from a true rookie (me!) but the stories were compelling enough for me after a lot of research to lay out the cash. AND I'M THRILLED! That 10-year no-fault is golden.
Taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #7
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
If you haven't already, check Jack's packcat and fat packcat -- supposed to be great for low water multi-day. (IIRC, they also have one you can put a small rowing frame on if desired.)
Display Products

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote