Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-24-2010   #1
Salt Lake City
Best Places to live? Paddling, Skiing, Lifestyle

Where have your favorite spots been? Decent cities/towns close to paddling, and hopefully skiing too? I've lived in Salt Lake City, the skiing doesn't get any better, but the paddling leaves much to be desired. Great Mtn biking. I've lived in Boise, which I loved, although the skiing isn't so great. I will soon leave graduate school in Boston - nice city, but I prefer the west, i think - and want some ideas of places to check out.

Draydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #2
Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Go to Jackson, Wyo. The play-boating is epic, as well as the creeking for most of the summer. Also, the skiing is almost as good as SLC. Almost. Oh yeah, and the Mtn biking is pretty good too. If you can find a gig there, then it is the perfect place. If not, then the other side of the mountain in teton valley idaho is good too.

b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
Move somewhere where you can ski and boat all year long.... head to the northwest. Oregon, Washington, N. California is where its at. Everywhere else in the west the season only last 2-3 months out of the year
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #4
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
nobody ever reps for alaska in these discussions, so i'll throw her in the mix. if you ski backcountry, anchorage has the best skiing in the world, three mountain ranges within 1.5 hrs, dawn patrols within the city limits, and the resort averages 700+ inches/year. for mtn biking, well-maintained single track all over town, and tons of trails throughout the state/natl parks. for paddling, three class V creeks within 20 minutes, a bunch more in striking distance for day runs, 20+ hrs of sun at the peak of the season, limitless first D potential, and paddling is good april-october. to be fair, only a couple play runs though, unless you drive a long ways or fly to iliamna. and on top of it all, the state pays you to live there.
xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My short list when looking into a similar thing was: Denver, Seattle, Boise, Portland, Sacramento. SLC is classic for just about everything but boating, so it didn't make my list.

Do a search on boatertalk and mountainbuzz and you'll find several past discussions.

I'm in Denver now, and it works well for me.

Big variable will be jobs and the size of the city you need to get a job.

Answer might depend on what difficulty and type of boating you are looking for.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #6
The next zone, .
Some people think Salida Co is nice ....
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #7
Professional Transient, See above.
throw Durango on the list
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #8
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have to agree about the Pac NW. But you've got to be into urban/metro environments. By your posted profession, it might be a good fit?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #9
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
Not to hate on Colorado, but if you are looking to boat this is not the place to live. It's a place you visit in june/july and can ski 7 months out of the year (I actually had a friend who skied every month last year, but aug + sept were not pretty).
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #10
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
If you want Pac NW, move *near* Seattle. You don't have to live in the city, there are plenty of other options. The city would drive me nuts, so I live 40 min away from Seattle (which is also 10 min to a great put-in, and 20 min to the ski area) If I want warm and sunny- I head over the Mtns (one hour away gets me a 20 degree temp difference).

But then again- I'm a bit biased....

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote