Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-26-2010   #21
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2005
NW is the place to be...always paddlling is the life 4 me

Yes, Northwest doesn't have the BIG WATER of south and midwest states but you can't beat paddling year around on many locations. Hit the river in the day and shred the slopes at night...what more do you want? Plus Saltwater...tasty, kayak surfing off the coast.

But I'll put a second the big brother of the north, AK.

logan.madlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
I would argue that you can both paddle and ski 12 months out of the year in good ol' CO. It just depends on how bad you want it and the quality of skiing and boating you get in the "off season". There is something special about a New Year's float or an August t-shirt ski.

I would agree with this statement! I paddle atleast once a month all year. The quality of the features may not be there in winter months or low flow months but theres always deep spots to throw ends and play.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeah, the fair weather paddlers who don't want to drive more than 30 miles hang it up mid july. Motivated boaters willing to work for it can paddle from march-october in colorado. Its not going to be primo runoff everday, but you can still get on the water.

Gore is one of the best late season runs in colorado. Boaters from the front range, summit, vail valley, g-wood, steamboat all can run gore in a day trip. Gore usually runs reliably aug-oct.

Bailey is another classic and usually has some fall releases.

Westwater is a great fall float trip and always has enough water. Westwater on halloween is awesome.

The black canyon / gunny gorge runs reliably in the fall too. Good flows for the black are low for gunny, but there's something there for experts or intermediates.

Durango boaters hit up rockwood and pandoras late season and have fun to super low flows.

The ark runs with dam support through mid august, and locals have fun at lows flows after that as well.

Big Thompson has sporadic releases, but I've gotten several good falls runs in. When they release the water, don't wait, drop everything and go.

Early season westwater is a classic season opener. You can run gore all april or even march. Escalante starts off the season with a bang late april early may.

A bunch of CO boaters head down to AZ in feb and march for runs like the salt, or more obscure creeks.

When the water is truly gone nov-feb, dedicated boaters hit the road and flock to mexico, central america, or chile.

Between colorado's prime season, road trips, and maybe a well timed paddling vacation you can boat a lot. I typically get 70-100 days a year in, start getting wet in march, and put in my last gore run around the end of october. If there were more water for longer in colorado, I'd probably get fired from my job and my wife would divorce me. The fall is one of the few times when I can actually get all the stuff I have blow off all season done.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #24
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I can't believe nobody has mentioned hood river. That place has it all! year round class V boating within 15 minutes, sick mountain biking, windsurfing (if you're into that), skiing on Mt. Hood....
Cinnamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #25
hood river is sweet. people here complain about driving more than twenty minutes to paddle and the mountain is closer than the front range to the I70 mountains.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #26
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

One more vote for Hood River. I lived there for most of my life and everywhere else I go, I am disapointed. There are numerous class V runs within 20 minutes that have water the majority of the year. Year round skiing within 45 minutes, windsurfing and kite boarding, amazing mountains that put most of the rockies to shame. No traffic or suburbs. One thing about the North West that a lot of people don't consider is the diversity of climates. You can drive 15 minutes West of Hood River and you are in temperate rainforest, you drive 15 minutes East and you are in desert. Hood River does have amazing mt. biking too, the front range SUCKS for mt. biking. It does rain though, alot, get used to mud. But if you really want to live in a place with year round everything move to the NW.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #27
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Crested Butte has by far the steepest gnarliest skiing in the lower 48 and has great paddling. No big water but some really good runs. I've skied a lot of places and CB is the only place that has ever made me shit my pants twice in one day. Great mountain biking through the biggest aspen grove in colorado, its absolutely beautiful. I also think that CB is the last true ski town, but not for long the Muellers are having their way with it.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #28
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Portland, Or is a great small city, and the downtown inner city is very compact and very livable.

Think the exact opposite of LA.

But to be honest, real boating and real sking is about 1+ hour away if you live in the city.

Now Hood River on the other hand.....
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #29
D Bone
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Western slope

Originally Posted by CFlem18 View Post
Not to hate on Colorado, but if you are looking to boat this is not the place to live. It's a place you visit in june/july and can ski 7 months out of the year (I actually had a friend who skied every month last year, but aug + sept were not pretty).
The front range is not the place to live, skiing and boating in the four corners is Epic
DB81301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #30
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Do not move to Carbondale. The people are to friendly, The rivers are littered with fisher people and the mountains in are horrible. Plus we have large rock slides that make it imposible to travel to the "city". That and we do not have any fast food stares or big box retail stores. So once again, please do not consider the RFV or Carbondale.

said very tongue in cheek

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote