Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-01-2010   #21
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
Well even though I am looking else where, Glenwood Springs seems to be pretty damn good for Colorado. Best wave in the state, maybe the west, hell I don't know that is just what I hear cause playboating is as cool as molten lava. except for Durango every kayaking destination is less than 3 hours away. Crystal, Escalante, Anything in the high rockies, Crested Butte are all very close, Ark valley as well. I can't really think of a better KAYAKING town in Colorado. That being said the night life sucks, the food ain't that great, beer is mediocre at best. Now if you are willing to drive you have Vail and Aspen for food and night life so there is possibilities. Skiing is good with any major resort within 2 hours and you are not with traffic at any time. Sunlight while small and not that great of terrain is 20 min away and is ma and pop style plus you can skin it after work and enjoy some cold ones at top. Fruita and Moab are as close as you want so the biking is good, hikes are plentiful. Oh and they just got a medicinal marijuana joint.

Good place if you are married, expensive as shit though.
Hope this helped
g-wood baby or New Castle( take out right near town) this place is getting cheaper and cheaper but good luck in finding a job but way too many amenities as listed by y.r.d. to ignore.G-wood wave is fun, south canyon rocks at high water and dinosaur is the shit at high water too and there is a nitelife and plenty of people on the river.
Downside is commercial trips on shoshone when it is running below 5000 is pretty much a zoo that will run down to 2 rivers and beyond, semi high rent(there is plenty to rent and the prices keep dropping) and traffic.
Overall a great place to live and plenty of close get away spots in a 3 hour driving radius and a cool diverse valley to live in carbondale rocks, g-wood is not as bad as y.r.d. makes it to be. Plenty of water, biking, hiking, climbing, snowboarding/ skiing, music, camping drinking fun to be had.
Just look out for the cranky old timers, the happy old timers are easier to have fun with

pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #22
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Since no-one has said it yet...Buena Vista.
Arkansas River with over 100 miles of III-IV.
Lake Creek and Clear Creek for your class V fix.
A newly updated whitewater park with 8 features top to bottom.
Fantastic backcountry skiing right outside of town.
Lift-assisted skiing within 45 minutes either direction.
An abundance of rock and ice climbing.
Plus it's a small town with virtually no crime.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #23
I made a similar post a couple of years ago when we were looking to move and we ended up in Salida. As far as mountain towns go it is pretty great; the wwpark has been expanded this year with two new holes/waves - be interesting to see what they are all about. We have great skiing at monarch and good backcountry around there and up near bv; we have just about year around mountain biking and as far as mountain towns with all those amenities go, it is relatively affordable. My wife and are buying a house after two years here and we never would have been able to do that in steamboat, t-ride, etc and probably even glenwood. Salida doesn't have the culture that denver or bosie have but it's coming around. Some decent restaurants and it's closish to denver or the springs if you need a culture fix. It's definetely small town living but it's worked for us.

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #24
Hope this helped[/QUOTE]

WTF.... New Castle and got it locked down. New Castle is off the hizzy. A great pizza joint (Hogback) right across from Rasta Robs new shop. Hong's diner. Great schools with shitty staff but big breasted asst. principals and don't forget the Ocean Pearl in GWS.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #25
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Hope this helped
WTF.... New Castle and got it locked down. New Castle is off the hizzy. A great pizza joint (Hogback) right across from Rasta Robs new shop. Hong's diner. Great schools with shitty staff but big breasted asst. principals and don't forget the Ocean Pearl in GWS.[/QUOTE]

Nemi who the fuck are you? You one of my shitty co-workers, your opinion is invalid since you claim hogback as good, oh wait you must be behind the times as she is principal now. Good Za can be found in Carbondale 20 mins away at White House Pizza, accept no substitutes.
Lets boat
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #26
Leesburg, Virginia
Maybe counterintuitive

Consider Washington, DC. Class V creeking and big water right in town, all of WV is 1-4 hours away. Lots of people paddle every day before or after work, year-round. Very active racing and competition scene, thousands of paddlers of all kinds. For your professional pursuits its unbeatable: half a dozen law schools in town, loads of job opportunities, gigantic environmental science community. Rock climbing, caving, hiking, biking are all world-class. Music and cultural scenes are top-notch. On the downside alpine sking sucks, mountaineering is non-existent, surf is 3 hrs away and mediocre. It has the traffic issues of any major city, but they're handleable with some imagination. You need a decent job to get by here, but it sounds like you're in the groove.
Bill Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #27
The Bitterroot, Montana
Originally Posted by Bill Kirby View Post
Rock climbing, caving, hiking, biking are all world-class. .
??? world class rock climbing in DC??? Can't say I agree.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #28
Carbondale, Colorado
Another vote for Glenwood or Carbondale. Sick skiing and boating everywhere! Close to 5 ski resorts, a lifetime of backcounty, and too may kayak runs to mention that certainly span the grades. As everyone else mentioned you're three hours max to anywhere you'd want to be. I'll never live anywhere else but it does come at a price.
RJennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #29
Paddle Publishing
Baja, California
Glenwood Springs/Carbondale or Salida/BV
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #30
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lots of good suggestions here. I could live in Salida or Glenwood. Buts lets face the facts; the food sucks in most Colorado mountain towns. The summer festivals these towns have are cool but they are no match for what is available in a place such as Denver or a town with a University. The opportunities are endless.

I grew up in the South East and may move back there some day. But as others have mentioned it can be a weird experience if you don't have you head on strait. But the boating is really good. The Cumberland Plateau is one of the most biologically diverse places in the United States It's like a jungle in some places there and the National Resource Defense Council has named it a Bio Gem About BioGems . East TN and Western NC are also some great areas Knoxville, Asheville or Chattanooga are towns I could do. Asheville is really high on my hit list of places to live. There are over 100 different kinds of hardwood trees inside the Smokies Park just outside town.

You would find more progressive attitudes in Asheville.

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote