Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-30-2010   #11
Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I always thought Boise was as good as it gets. Good weather. Plenty of semi-dam controlled stuff flowing directly towards town. Long season (for the West). Extended wilderness trips nearby. If you can drive 5 or 6 hours you have good stuff in every direction. Can't beat that.
I agree that Boise is a great town, its where I am from and likely where I will end up before its all said and done. I am just looking for a new place, outside of Boise, for a few years so I can experience something new.

reyher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by reyher85 View Post
I agree that Boise is a great town, its where I am from and likely where I will end up before its all said and done. I am just looking for a new place, outside of Boise, for a few years so I can experience something new.
Well The South East would a good choice for something new. Are you taking a break from school, out of school when you move or will you need a university town?

possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #13
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Leadville, co. Is cool, skiing and whitewater within 30 min. The town itself is at 10200 ft. Many 14teeners out your back door
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #14
Kingwood, Texas
Paddling Since: 08
2hrs from great boating

Moscow is 2 hours from a great river. LOCHSA!!! 4400cfs today. Get in your rig and enjoy it before you bail on northern ID. Its Lochsa time
erain12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #15
Grand Junction, Colorado
I know you don't want to hear it, but Idaho is about as good as it gets.... just my humble opinion. I'm hoping to move up there myself.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #16
Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
I've also been probing around for ideas of a new paddling town, so keep the ideas coming guys. Grew up in Steamboat Colorado, enjoyed it, but Colorado is pretty crowded and expensive. Lived near Boise on the Payettes for a season, super fun, but even after one season the runs got kinda repetitive. Although I enjoyed the S. Salmon area runs a few hours away and the hot springs. Went to college in Bozeman, it's a cool area (Big T, the Box, Yellowstone Play, etc.), covered most of the runs in a few seasons with a lot of driving though, time for something new. Bozeman definitely has your skiing a drinking covered ! Hood River is sweet, boated a few days, does anyone have some insite on living there, jobs, cost of housing, etc. Also, been thinking about Sandpoint, ID, anyone know more about the scene there? Curious about South East towns too, never been, city's kinda freak me out, and i've heard there's alot of them down there. Thanks in advance for any beta!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #17
student wasted state, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to vaultman14
Salida Colorado amazing river access and great skiing in the winter, FIBARK!!!!!! one amazing ww park!!!! and a lot of stuff close by also!!!!
you know sometimes i wish i would have chosen something like baseball but, i didn't and i'm a kayaker so this is what i do." -Nick Turner (Wehyakin)
vaultman14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #18
New Meadows/Riggins

Lived in Co all my life, FINALLY moving to ID...Like the new meadows/riggins area. yr round play on the Main Salmon...Little Salmon, Hazard Creek 30 minutes away, NF Payette, EF South Fork Salmon, SF Salmon, Goat Creek, Sechesh, new play park in Cascade, the list goes on and on.... all within 1-2hr. Lochsa/Drainages/Clearwater close as well The housing market has been hammered there as well....Decent skiing at Brundage/tamarack.....Not so much work opportunities, no crowds, but who cares, you'll be too busy playing anyway...
Disclaimer: Sorry to all who have discovered this WW gem.....
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #19
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Well even though I am looking else where, Glenwood Springs seems to be pretty damn good for Colorado. Best wave in the state, maybe the west, hell I don't know that is just what I hear cause playboating is as cool as molten lava. except for Durango every kayaking destination is less than 3 hours away. Crystal, Escalante, Anything in the high rockies, Crested Butte are all very close, Ark valley as well. I can't really think of a better KAYAKING town in Colorado. That being said the night life sucks, the food ain't that great, beer is mediocre at best. Now if you are willing to drive you have Vail and Aspen for food and night life so there is possibilities. Skiing is good with any major resort within 2 hours and you are not with traffic at any time. Sunlight while small and not that great of terrain is 20 min away and is ma and pop style plus you can skin it after work and enjoy some cold ones at top. Fruita and Moab are as close as you want so the biking is good, hikes are plentiful. Oh and they just got a medicinal marijuana joint.

Good place if you are married, expensive as shit though.
Hope this helped
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #20
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
hood river
I dont live there, but the rumors are true. I never believed it till I actually saw it for myself. Year round boating on 4 classic rivers that literally flow into town. Class II-V+ year round. Less than a 15 minute drive to each. There are also thousands more rivers flowing year round within a short drive. Year round skiing at mt. hood. Surfing at the beach not far away. Close to california for granite sliding. No play park, but decent natural play on the white salmon. Multiple Breweries, wineries, and a whiskey distillery in town. It is the promised land.
don't sell this area short. If I could live there I probably would ...
How about windsurfing and kiteboarding? Mountain climb either hood or mt Adams ... Tons of waterfalls about 20 minutes away ... In addition to white salmon/hood river there is little white salmon, wind river, and Klickatat all within about a half hour. Home of the "Gorge Games" ... live/work on the WA side and there is no income tax. Shop on the OR side where there is no sales tax ...

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote