Old 05-31-2009   #11
Pueblo West, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to take a lesson but I like to have a solid idea about what works best and why before I start things. I was doing a C to C roll - learned via youtube but I started doing the sweep after reading the posts. I agree it was MUCH easier. I was able to hit my off side sweep on the first attempt. I watched the post you recommended and it was perfect for me. I had never performed my off roll successfully before watching the video and then I got it first time. Thanks for the great post.

Originally Posted by acetomato View Post
I originally learned the C to C from EJ's videos because it was very simple and cookbook. Do this, this and this. But it led me to some bad habits (leaning to the back of the boat, relying too much on the blade, putting shoulders in danger, etc.).
So I have to agree with Crowd- the slash, modified sweep, whatever you want to call it brings you up so easily when you do it right it's like you didn't do anything. It's what Matt teaches at the Telluride Kayak School. You can see it in the video: "The Kayak Roll". (the video is cheesy but the instruction is solid)
It's good to know a lot of rolls so you've got that in your bag of tricks for when you need them but i would start with that version of the sweep.
Ciph- you seem to be asking a lot of questions on here that most newcomers to the sport have. (am I right?) If, so you might be best served by taking a lesson. It's better to start with solid technique from someone with the knowledge of how to teach you properly than to just figure it out yourself & from friends and then fix bad technique later after it's ingrained. It's a lot easier to learn it right the first time than try to get rid of bad habits. Trust me.

Cipherion is offline   Reply With Quote

beginner, newbee, practice, roll