Old 06-06-2008   #11
The Classic!!

RPM Max. Way comfortable, plenty of leg room, and surfs well.

Serenity Now!
Big Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
WS Godzilla

Buddy been down the ditch couple of times in the WS Godzilla and swears by the boat. I have one in good shape that I barely use that you could use for the trip if you want. That way you could save your money and buy something you might want to use more often (unless you plan on using the boat for more than just the Grand. I might not be able to make it down the the Grand but for damn sure maybe something I own will.
I live in the Fort, PM me if you want to use the boat.

Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #13
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
best Grand boat

I've been down the dtich 14 times. Get yourself a RPM.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #14
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Paddle whatever is comfortable. You won't have any trouble keeping up with the rafts in a well outfitted play boat. Also, you don't need to have a long boat to play on the waves in there.

Basically, any kind of boat you take will work, just take one that is comfortable. So long as you have a solid roll you don't need to worry about having an 'easy to roll boat.' Honestly, its the roll, not the boat that determines if you will come up or not. If you are concerned about rolling in the big water, practice your roll a bunch instead of worrying about a boat.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #15
You need a longer boat. I've been down a few times and the boat I would take would be the Riot Slice. Long for surfing and flat water, slicy ends for squirting the millions of swirlies. The Jive would do too. Hull speed is a huge deal down there, as every wave is catch on the fly and nothing has eddy service, except President Harding Wave.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #16
Gunnison, Colorado
Yeah, it's a tough decision. I'm going in Oct. and am planning on taking my 4twenty. I know it's small, but it's what I'm most experienced in and it's pretty comfy. It'll let me cartwheel and goof around in the flats too.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #17
Golden, Colorado
I was very happy in an RPM.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #18
hands down the most comfortable big wave surfer is the Remix. The Bad ass outfitting is the bomb. I am 180 5'10 size 10 feet. I can fit in any of them. The 69 is designed for me and great but I often paddle the 79 for creeking but the hull is old school planning and super fast. It will make the miles fly by and you will catch all the waves you want.

Liquidlogic Kayaks
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #19
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
old school hulls are displacement. does the remix have a flat [planing] or round [displacement] hull? been curious about that boat....
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #20
All depends on what you're comfortable in and what type of kayaker you are. I took a ZG54 last fall and was very happy with the boat choice. It is a bit longer and faster than the latest playboat designs, but the boat can still do just about all the dynamic surf moves on big waves.

On the other hand you could take a Cadillac of a boat, be more comfortable, and not quite as surfy and playful as you could be.

chad is offline   Reply With Quote