Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-13-2015   #31
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Gumotex K1 IK. Anyone have experience of this?

Just saw a vid of this boat on Vimeo doing 25 foot waterfalls somewhere in the Alps. Looks very impressive. Anyone ever paddled this?

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #32
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
Hey there! I figured I'd continue this thread versus start a new one.

I'm looking at some white water IK's. I've got hardshells but they're hard to share with friends, and the forgiveness and ease of use of the IK's is just hard to beat. Myself and my girlfriend also started in hardshells, but are finding our myriad of hobbies keeping us from really progressing to the point where we're getting combat rolls and what not down... it would seem inflatable kayaks for running up to class III seems to be where we're at!

I picked up a RMR 10.5 raft not long ago for the Deschuttes here in Oregon. It's been a rad boat thus far! Quite rugged for the price. I noticed RMR has started making what seems to be pretty damn beefy IK's, that include thigh straps as well.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Rocky Mountain Rafts-Animas IK

shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #33
Sacramento, California
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
Totally agree with your sentiments. The only time I have seen an IK being combat rolled is in the vid you mention.Trying to roll a lynx in any significant rapid would be pretty pretty hard.
The Aire Force XL might be easier with it's shape and added inflation outside the cockpit, but the real truth is, if you can roll, people don't continue playing in an IK.

Speaking of which, I did find one with an Aire Force roll in rapids:
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #34
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That's pretty sweet.,..my exact same boat ,color and everything...less patches..usually you fall out ,even in the Force,but sometimes you are upside down and locked in just like a kayak and could possibly roll..that dude held in there a long time...if done efficiently you could fall out right when he flipped and reenter faster than he rolled...that particular rapid reminded me of reentering super fast only to drop into another hole before you have completely regained control and getting a double spanking..shit happens
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #35
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I did roll mine once, off the bottom of a very fast moving river in about 2 feet of water! It wasn't pretty, but I stayed in the boat!
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #36
Sacramento, California
After posting that video, I saw another, lower quality footage of the same run. He rolled at least twice on that run.

The 1st one was much quicker. The 2nd flip was also rather clumsy looking.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #37
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Keeping weight forward could possibly have prevented both flips.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #38
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Right ,the guy is good at rolling but not bracing and leaning properly..and a little too casual...everybody is good at different things I guess..that boat is much less forgiving than other duckies
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #39
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
there can only be 1 best all around IK and it is the late 1990s to late 2000s aire lynx: Flat water, class IV/V, its a bed, its a couch, it fits on a mule

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015   #40
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
...but the real truth is, if you can roll, people don't continue playing in an IK.
Agreed. I have no problems rolling my NRS bandit, but really all I use it for is to bring beginners. If they end up liking it, they inevitably buy a hardshell and learn to roll. The only time I'd use it myself would be a multiday trip you have to hike in or out of. They're great for that.

Originally Posted by mervo View Post
I've been cruising the Poudre in an NRS Bandit (up to, and including class IV) for the last month.
I know you posted this a week ago, but the Poudre was already running over 4.5 by then wasn't it? If so, I'm impressed. What line do you take through Pine View? I *think* I could make it through in my ducky upright at that level, but i'd only give myself about a 70% chance.

jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote