Old 05-03-2006   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Best III/III+ runs Idaho & MT?

Need advice on some good runs in Idaho or Montana considering current flows... I know parts of Idaho are running high. Class III or III+ will do just fine. Class III with a couple of "IV rapids" would also be fine, you get the picture.

WisegirlII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Look at the main payette it is a fun class 3 run and if you are feeling good on that there are more runs that are class3-4 on the south fork of the payette.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #3
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Look at the S. Fork Payette, lots of big water class III/IV. The Canyon run is great, be sure and portage Big Falls on the left. Lots of other good stuff around that run too. Insane scenery and amazing hot springs at pine flats c.g. Not sure what it's runnin now but I'm sure it's big or soon will be, someone will have to chime in on that. Try the lochsa too if your headin to MT.

In mt. you got the Gallatin, Alberton gorge, Beartrap canyon to name a few.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #4
I lived in Montana for seven years and there are lots of good rivers up there. Around bozeman there is great class 3 boating. The Gallatin River around the mad mile section (might get into the 4 range at real high flows) the madison just below the dam down to beartrap (there is one large 4 called kitchen sink but very easy to walk around), there is parts to the yellowstone river. Up around Missoula there is a new play area on the clark-fork right through town then as you head west on I-90 there is the Alberton gorge section of the clark-fork. If you head up North near Kalispell/Whitefish there is the Middle Fork and North Fork of the Flathead. All generally class 3 rapids in these section with an occasional class 4 just check water levels but there are many other runs around the state too but these are the ones more familiar to me. Also, know a lot of boaters up mainly around the Whitefish area if you want some local knowledge.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #5
Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feed back.

Flow and vardaddy... if you could only hit two or three of these options in MT which ones?
Old 05-03-2006   #6
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Stop squating to pee and hit them all. Plug the hole at big falls! Someones gonna fire this drop up at high water as it looks good for some quality down time. It's around 7 g's right now. Stop worrying about class this and that and get in the water and portage what you don't like.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006   #7
Jackson, Wyoming
Too bad the jerk off I'm going with has a really twisted idea of what's a class III and what's a "good idea"... half the time he doesn't even know where the put in is...
Old 05-03-2006   #8
If I was going to do 3 of them I would do the Gallatin somewhere above and down through the Mad Mile section (this is before big sky), hit the Madison Bear trap Canyon section (take a look at Kitchen Sink easy portage and scout on the right) and then if you are headed to Idaho from there hit the Alberton Gorge on the Clark fork or hit this first if you are coming from Idaho.
Old 05-03-2006   #9
By the way if you are looking for a camping spot near Missoula, I highly recommend Rock Creek Rd. slightly east of there. You need to drive up it about 5 miles or more but the area is beautiful and would be good camp spot if you boat in Bozeman for the day and then head towards Missoula.
Old 05-04-2006   #10
The lochsa is all you need. 36 miles of III-IV big water fun.

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote