Old 10-31-2012   #21
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
The Dolores has the best wilderness exploring while floating a river in Colorado; particularly the stretch from Gypsum Valley to Bedrock.

If you look at UT, the Escalante River has an almost endless number of canyons in which to lose yourself. For a year around float Labyrinth and Stillwater canyons on the Green also offer lots of access to remote side canyons.
Thanks Bruce. I was hoping someone would mention the Dolores. Any canyons in particular you know of that have really interesting features (petroglyphs, cliff dwellings, waterfalls, etc...)?

I would love to float and explore Escalante, as I would the Grand. I know they both have the best slot canyon exploring in the country, I just can't take that much time at once yet, one day.... Labyrinth is on my list for this fall/winter/early spring still, have you done Stillwater? Any recommendations for particular hikes in there?

Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Chinle really looks cool! Do you know that that has been run? Tyler Williams says it runs a few times a century and has several falls 10 'to 50' (maybe that ledge in the pic) plus Anasazi ruins or petroglyphs.
I actually believe that. Phil said Chile had flooded to like 800 cfs a week before we were there... there was still water in it, no current, but a decent amount of muddy water. If you follow the drainage on a map it drains a huge area. The pic I posted was from the "lookers" left rim above the creek. There were tons of cliff dwellings, petroglyph/pictographs and pottery shards. Pretty damn awesome.

I appreciate all the other suggestions as well. Especially the Salt, hadn't thought about that one. Hopefully I can run Cataract one of these days too.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #22
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah, the Dolores. Been too long for me to remember specific hikes but I do remember Coyote Wash near the end of the trip Bruce mentions.

When we were on the San Juan, launched one month ago based on the moon cycle just passing, we hiked a fair amount. River House is outstanding, of course. So dramatic.

Chinle was awesome. We actually did a lay over there so we could recover from the effort to get us all on the rio and to give us more time for hiking. As it turned out it was hot and we had small kids with us so we didn't get near as far in as I'd hoped. I'd done some homework before we went and read that the biggest cliff dwellings in Utah are up that wash. We only made it 3? miles or so and the wash goes 20+ miles before the Arizona border. We didn't find any ruins beyond the early stuff that you hiked up to, Logan. That wash goes all the way to Canyon de Chelly so I figure there is a lot to see in that 100? miles of canyon.

And, yes, I remember reading an account of a descent of Chinle that I think included a heli evac of a paddler with a dislocated shoulder. Seems to me I also read that you want huge water at the putin to still have flow by the end.

There are a lot of nice hikes on the San Juan though once you enter the Goosenecks there are surprisingly few that go very far before cliffing out. John's and Grand Gulch are both nice but hard to get up and I think the ruins in Grand Gulch are out of reach from the rio in part because you need a permit to hike more than a mile from the rio. Slickhorn and Oljeto are both outstanding but you need a permit to camp there and a layover day is not possible to get. We hiked both on this last trip and all I wanted to do was keep going/exploring but time turned us back.

The Escalante seems like the Holy Grail. At the very top of my to do list. Here's a shot of the Coyote Gulch/Escalante confluence. I hiked this on a recon last winter. The shot is taken from the rim where the hike out tops out.

Coyote Gulch | Wild Backpacker

Over nighted in Brown's Canyon this fall. We camped just below Big Drop on rio left. There is an outstanding hike up to some really nice vert granite faces. We called the one we hiked to Mini Half Dome. Don't know the name of the wash. It is just upstream of Green Gulch on the maps. Also hiked up a shorter wash on rio right immediately below Big Drop. Half a mile and then a little scrambling off wash left took us to some high ground that looked across to Mt. Princeton. Fantastic view of the Collegiates. We watched an amazing lightning storm cross the valley from Chalk Cliffs until it was on us. Our conversation as we watched it get closer; Larry, "I'm not scared." Phil, "I'm not scared either. Let's just stay here." Lightening strike within a hundred yards... Phil and Larry are running scared off the high ground and down the wash as the side washes start to run.

Its not a side hike but one of my fave hikes is the portage around the mank slot on Number 5 at ELF levels cuz it means I'm getting out on one of my fave runs.

Nice thread...

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yeah in his book Tyler says most of the water gets used for irrigation before it gets to the put in (used up by a place he calls "too Many Farms ") .Canyon de Chelly would be awesome scenery and ruin side hikes, but is iilegal (or at. least you need permission) .The run can dry up on you /absorb into the ground before you reach the San Juan.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012   #24
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If you get a big snow year on the Escalante in UT you can hike your ass off in every canyon you see on the way down.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012   #25
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #26
Not much of a hike, but a scenic view above the Dolores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolores meander sml.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	5260  
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #27
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Chinle really looks cool! Do you know that that has been run? Tyler Williams says it runs a few times a century and has several falls 10 'to 50' (maybe that ledge in the pic) plus Anasazi ruins or petroglyphs. PARIA near Lee 's Ferry is BADASS.Hell anything in southern Utah.I second the Dolores and Smith Fork (though short) .Little Hole on Westwater for overhang camp and cliff jumping plus off trail hikes /climbs on the inner rim.Little D plunge pool on the oher side of the river.

Ruins runs like Grand Gulch, Filo/BOBOS, COPAN,MOPAN, Usumascinta, or the ultimate the Urubamba to MACHU PICHU (one hell of a 'side 'hike though) .

Not Turkey C reek on the Gila, the hot springs carry menengitis.Don 't worry, you won 't find them anyway.
Thats not the drop. Chinle has numerous alcoves on both sides for a large portion of it's run from US 160 to the Juan.

Look on Google Earth where US 160 crosses Chinle in Teec Nos Pas. There is a large sandstone ledge there; the imagery is really good here so you can follow the creek all the way down to the Juan and see the other drops. Theres a small handful scattered along it's length.

On a side note, Chinle has some incredibly well-preserved puebloan ruins within some side alcoves. Phil, I don't think they are quite the biggest in Utah, but let's just say they are nice and high quality. im not at liberty to discuss how to get there or where (confidentiality agreement to a friend) but lets just say "NICE".

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote