Old 07-03-2009   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by nightingale View Post
If you go out and get a dehydrator, you can make a world of stuff for a lot cheaper than what you pay for the packaged stuff. I bought one for $50 at REI years ago and it's great! I just came back from backpacking in Alaska and dehydrated a bunch of stuff before I left. I make sauces, chilis, etc and just add water on the trail. I also make my own fruit leathers (a honey pumpkin for fall is my fave).
This could be a separate thread in itself. Maybe I'm getting older and more spoiled, but I do like to eat well in the backcountry. I even carried in a very small boxed container of French Rabbit Merlot the last time I hiked into the Na Pali coast. Tasted awesome out there!!

So you're talking about one of those standard dehydrators for drying out fruits and veggies, right? You started cooking up whole meals and what?... putting them in a shallow pan on one of the trays to dry out? I imagine some stuff comes out well and some not so well...? Sauces would probably do OK, but anything too bulky would probably be a disaster I'm guessing. A freeze dry process allows for bulky food to get processed or other stuff that would get destroyed in a straight drying process.
Did you come across some sort of dehydrator cookbook for ideas? Or just experimentation?

Dana23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off