Old 08-16-2007   #41
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
hmmnnn... this is difficult but here goes in no particular order.

had more than a few great BS days and a few at respectable water levels with the crew. that run has to be my favorite. i remember one day when the beaver showed up and i was like holy shit gordon is going to paddle with us.

cheeseman was a highlight. i've been wanting to get in there for years and yes its as good and as dangerous as they say. also another day with the beav. favorite part of the day was rolling through sportmans 10+ stong and i somehow was in the lead. the sheriff was waiting for and gave us the signal to pull over and as i started to slow and look for an eddy gordon and forest proceed to blow by me with there heads down and throwing a flurry of strokes (mental note, if you ever see gordon taking battle strokes grab your paddle tight cause your about to get into the shiat) and i think to myself shit i'm not the only one getting a ticket today and get back into formation with the group.

day five BLC. what a trip. if you get in there and make it to day five you'll understand easily the hardest thing i have done while kayaking. when i entered the res. and realized i was going to survive the run a huge wave of relief fell over me. little did i realize we were about to paddle 9mi across a reservoir with a head wind, bruttle.

any day paddling with the crew (even though lotsawater has a thing for my mom, all i can say is ewww gross). sitting above a big drop with your friends filming, setting safety, waiting to see the throtaling, and cheering you on is tops in my book.

but who's to say the season is over come on CO its not over until the snow starts falling. durango is poised to have another fall season, the north fork is prime, and BC is a couple days drive away. i'm reserving the right to add/withdraw a few entry cause i ain't done yet.

The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #42
The next zone, .
My best day..... Well it was at night!!

Lake creek at 700 cfs with the usual 3 suspects and my old buddy Nate was visitin from patagoina. We put in at the source at 8:15 pm and took out after the paralyzer at about 10:30 pm. No portages, no scouts. The moon came out soon after the sun went down.

Nothin better than creekin your backyard run, at night, and with your best buddies.....

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #43
pnw, Washington
Its been a very good year for me, hard to narrow down but I think it all boils down for me to one hard move on an easy run on the cal salmon in April. The worm kinda turned for me at that particular moment. Glad I sat back and enjoyed the moment. Running Pine with my buddies. And running the Ark at midnight with the same goofs. Just a good year all round.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #44
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983

times change, my best boating day this year was leading 5 year old, Cisco down the Yampa at 135 cfs. Second best day was taking him and his sister down together the next day. She swam, he cleaned the run! Many great days on Casey's pond with those two and little brother Peppi are a close third.

Next year, Yampa at higher flows, Ruby Horsethief, Upper C, CO below Shoshone? The future looks bright after several years of little paddling!

Thanks Pete @ Backdoor for the use of the Jackson Kayaks!!

dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #45
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My best day this season was in Idaho on the Lochsa. It isn't the hardest paddling, but it is a truly beautiful canyon. 80 foot tall Cedars line the banks with wispy moss growing off the branches. Considering that you are in the Central Rockies it is amazing just how lush it is there. We put in late in the day and the setting sun would provide a beautiful backdrop for the run. We were lucky to hit the river at near peak in late May. I had several new friends in my raft from our trip down the MF Salmon. The Upper Lochsa was great read and run class 4 to maybe 4+. By the time we got down to Lochsa Falls and that final big hit I had fell in love with the river. When we got done some of our friends had started a fire and had food cooking and cold beer. After that we hit a beautiful hot spring before calling it a day. Hard for me to imagine a much better day.

Rafting the NF Payette a coupe of days later was great, but the scenery on the Lochsa combined with the great whitewater there is really amazing.

Now I want to get the SF Salmon, is anyone else trying to checkoff all 50 of the runs in Whitewater Classics? I am not sure that I can get a raft down all 50, but it sounds like a good goal, 11 down, 39 to go.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote