Old 08-07-2007   #31
Avon, Colorado
Destroying the Upper C. Totally gripped it and ripped it! Anyone else feel that way about the Upper C?

Edward-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #32
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
No way, dude. That hole at the bottom of Yarmony still has me gripped. But judging by your website, it's nothing compared to duckhunting with a slingshot. You're waaaayyy to corps for me.

The Count

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #33
Denver, Colorado
Starting the season I was dissapointed at the dismal snowpack in CA. The annual spring trek to the clear blue waters and new rivers every day looked like it wasn't going to happen. Combined with the fact that one of the old standard crew was skipping this year's trip to have a beautiful baby girl, it looked like the year was going to start slow.

Then the idea of Wyoming was presented. I was skeptical, North for early run-off? The drive was shorter, the runs were spectacular, and the locals suicidal. A great 4 days.

So here is my list:
1) The day on Gore yet to happen with the whole crew, MC, MB, DL, TB, DM, CF, AG, JB... probably late August.
2) Proving Grounds, can't argue with ERVDM
3) Upper West Fork Tensleep, my 1st 1st D
4) Bighorns Clear Creek

This may need to be updated after Gauley.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #34
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I only paddled 4 days this year, lol. Jesus! My first day was hitting Black rock at 1000+ with my boys forrest and bruno. Love racing Forrest to see who gets rigo first. Always nice to warm up on a run you love.

Next was taking my girl down the gross ventre. Watching her style it with smiles and the most amazing view from the water you could ever see.

Gordon D- You show up to jackson and don't call? Whats up sucka?

Kyle- your double trouble run was awesome. Sick level and great boof. Forrest and I kept watching it while in the virgin islands wondering if we could run that sweet.

I remember two great moments like that at DT. All the bad boys were there, I think 8 of us. Same level as yours and we are starring at it like holy shit! Up stream Rob Dastin put a stick through his skirt. So as we are looking, waiting for someone to give er, Robby is sewing his skirt up. About 10 minutes later Robby stands up, looks at his skirt and says looks good! Then he walks over to look at DT and says in 2 seconds Looks good! Gets in his boat and cleans that thing like you did. Best runs I've ever seen at that level, his and yours. Sik!

The other, we were in there at 4+ft and got to DT. Dave Pizzuti was killing it and making it look so easy all day. The boys told him he had to run it. He was like, you can't make it. You're gonna swim. Were like, you got that shit, get er done. He's like hell no! Finally we all agree if he fires it we will. He tells us where he wants safety and said you guys will go no matter what? Hell yes we'll go! He comes in perfect, nails the greatest boof ever and is almost out when all of a sudden he gets pulled back brutally fast like something had roped him. LMAO! After he gets out he looks at us and is like lets see it. Were all speechless, as it doesn't get any cleaner than that. UM---were walking that shit! No one else fired it, lol at you snake. Crazy mofo.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #35
Nice stories Gar. Funny you mentioned the Rigo thing with Forest. Wigston, Forest and I put on late at around 850 this year, and all day long we refused to share an eddy. If you were in the lead and eddied out, it was guaranteed that the other two would pass you. Yet, when I eddied out above Rigo I thought for sure that they would stop and everyone would debate about it for a second. Not even. Both those guys blazed into it full speed and I was left sitting at the top thinking "fuck, now I have to run it."

Get healthy. Let's paddle.

Darren, so stoked you made it up to the Bighorns. I'm jealous.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #36
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

cutch if you ever head up to the bighorns check out some creeks around casper wy.

you have to drive through casper on your way to big horns so
why not hit up deer creek like 15 miles outside casper

long cayon can be done in a day class 5 with some 4 inbetween and alot more 5.
some manky shit for sure and a un run 30 ftr needing some people to help with safety.

or boxelder creek
that all im saying cause im saving that for me( unrun)

plus it all runs in late april before anything else gets doable.

both are only 15 miles from eachother
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #37
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
The best Rigo story was when Forrest and I show up to Black rock at 1900. We were all excited cause we knew it was gonna be big and we haven't seen levels like that for while. Of course Forrest is the only person I could find.

We put on at kermits and decide to race to tunnel one. We get through the upper and start in on the black rock section. The holes were huge and surfing was going on. As we come into Narrows we know theres a mandatory thrashing in the river wide hole two waves below unkle bill. You just hit it with your head and pin wheel a few times and get spit and roll. It's so fun! We then start paddling into rigo, the lead in was huge as expected. The tourist and rock climbers see us on the left coming in, and start running, waving their arms, screaming to STOP!

It was awesome, they were everywhere and the faces looked like they were gonna watch us die. As I enter, Forrest is already in it somewhere. I come through in a perfect line and keep going. I see forrest just after the normal start boof rock on the lower and he was like "i got stomped and started laughing". It was an awesome day.2 hrs 10m kermits to tunnel 1 no eddies and no walks. Pretty sure that is the highest descent of rigo.

The latteral just above the hole coming off the river right bank is like 7ft and is brutal trying to move right. No chance going left.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007   #38
1. Sunny camping at Super Slide on SF Merced, walk-less and guide-less.

2. First time Embudo ~3.7, no scouts, no walks, no swims, no breath left

3. Good friends, good lines Gore 4000

4. Any multi-lap juicy top-to-bottom Fish Creek day w/ all the locals
I will destroy you.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #39
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Best Surf of the season

There have been to many incredible days (50+) this year to call this the all time best day, but definately the most incredible surf of the year.
So one evening recently I found myself in the middle of a downpour on the way to the river. I was a little wet, a little tired, and not all that sure that I wanted to get in, but the tunes in my car kept me smiling as I continued on my way. Finally I arrived at my destination, and the sun had just come out. I thought I might see a few other boaters on the river, but to my dismay the only other soul around was an old fisherman. I checked out the hole I intended to enter, and it looked OK, definately worth the drive, but not to retentive, and low as rivers get these days. I put on my gear, and checked to make sure the fisherman was still around before putting in. The water felt good as I started to warm up, and the wave and I learned how to be friends. It wasn't to sticky, and I was a little rusty, but after a few failed attempts I started to get a groove on, and the front surfing was started to feel like skiing. Getting on the wave was like droping in at the top of a bowl, and I just kept turning back and fourth on the face of the pile, occasionally droping into the trough and throwing the bow around. Before long, flat spins started to come like they were meant to be and get thrown in with my seemingly endless turns down the pile. Occasionally the bow would burry in the glass, and and I would lay out in a big extended carve, to bring it back up and around. The sky was beginning to turn oranges and reds, and the surf was endless! Just when I didn't think it could get any better, a grand daddy bull Elk trots down the bank not fifty yards upstream of where I was surfing, and swims his impressive being accross the river, and stands in the shallows on the opposite bank. I was just surfing back and fourth in awe as he turned his incredible rack to face me, and we just stayed there looking at each other, me surfing an incredible hole, and him standing not 50 yards away, directly up stream in the river watching me. We just stayed like that for what seemed like forever. The colors from the sky shone off of his rack and his back, as the sun started to set over the mountains behind his silouette. I was paying so much attention to him, that I kept falling off of the wave after a good surf, and then reentering it again, not paying attention to the surf. He had a drink, turned and then looked back at me again for a while. Then after loitering a little longer, crossed the river again and meandered up the river bank. It was amazing! Water and wildlife! The only thing that would have made it better was to have shared it with others. I surfed that night untill the sun went down, and then walked upstream a little to find the fisherman and see if he too had seen the incredible spectacle. I located him and we gestured wildly across the river, trying to show each other the size and stature of the beast we had just seen. As the colors left the sky completely, I drove off with peace in my heart. It was a GREAT day!!!
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #40
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Thanks to such a great snowpack, and a not so warm spring all of us have had opportunities that just don't exist very often. What a fantastic year.

Top highlights for me:

Boating with JoeK, ToddG, and a bunch of his buddies up in Northern Washington. Clearwater Creek is by far one of the best creeks I have ever done. From what Todd says, we are super fortunate to have even caught it when it was running and it was awesome. 470 fpm, and not a drop over 7 feet! That is vert my friend!

As Livingston mentioned, getting a first D in the big horns. Lower Tensleep was a hoot a fairly high water, but damn I am pissed we didn't get on upper tensleep. 3 feet on that gauge is nothing short of a nightmare, but next year I will drive straight up there the second that Aaron from Core Mt Sports says it's g2g. Also a 3rd known decent of one of the best creeks in the rockies... upper Clear Creek (near Buffalo)

10+ runs on Bear Creek. nuff said. That run is a kayakers wet dream. Close to town, steep, holes (yes I swam!), and even a couple good drops... LOVE THAT RUN.

Paddling with the old crew is priceless. I have also had some great days with Frenchy (high water in the Lower... hell yeah!), JoeK, Dave Frank and many others. Kayaking is such a great sport. And man do we have some great paddlers to watch around here.

Gore season it is... but Gauley will yet again ring as the best party/paddle of the year.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote