Old 12-15-2009   #21
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
[I add another vote to the green being overrated; it was way to bouncy for my preferences. Just because it runs a lot doesn't make it world class.[/QUOTE]

sure would be nice to have something like the green that ran 300+ days a year in this desert!

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #22
Boulder, Colorado
I personally think Gore is a better run that runs more than the green does, from april-october it runs everyday 24 hours a day with good flow. The green does not run 300 days a year 24 hours a day, during the summer it runs a few hours at piss low levels.
Also if we had a run that would release during the winter very few individuals would do it because people are afraid of the cold.
And another run that I love back east is the upper blackwater, that shit is sick.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #23
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Costa Rica is awesome and has super sick day runs. The Patria is in my top 5 favorite runs ever and the Atlantico is way up there too, both over nighters. Pozo is a good run but there are much better runs in that country. Nick you would be too scared unless Chad was sharp ending the runs for you, so calm down. Wouldn't say Costa is better then Cali and doesn't have the big 7, but it is way worthy.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #24
travelling, around
Paddling Since: 83
What about the Perth in NZ?

Or the Fu in Chile? Those are Class V, but are they considered rivers rather than creeks?

Are they just famous because loud-mouths ran them or are they really good?
cold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #25
Well put Gar. Setting the record straight with the Cali debate, from what I've seen of Cali. Crapor, Costa Rica beats montucky any day (too much driving in that big sky). Photos coming, and a TR. Like this week.

CR certainly doesn't have the NF Payette, and I would potentially argue that as the best day run, though not a creek. The Little White is pretty hard to beat, and near impossible to argue against. The Box falls into another category as well.

Costa Rica has the Chirripo's (atlantico and pacifico), and the pacifico is loaded with other nearby options. The country as a whole is a very unique style of whitewater. Awesome boulder garden rapids with good gradient and giant rocks. Occasional gorges. Not many sieves. Good stuff. Tarrialba isn't worthless, it has the Vereh. The Vereh reminds me of the Clear Fork Cowlitz (WA) but much cleaner and it's in the jungle! Plus it gets the big water paddle out bonus points. San Gerardo is a super worthy destination. I could easily waste three weeks there. Easily on par with say Silverton/Durango as a destination paddling area.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #26
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
...just because no one has said this... I love Fish Creek in Steamboat Springs. I do get to run it more in one season than most people will ever run it... just because I live here. It does not have huge drops, or big slides. At higher water levels, it is a very technical class V creek run that will drain all the energy you have in the short 4 miles. The coolest thing about this creek run is the different water levels within the same day. I've run it up to 4 times in a single day and have seen it change from a few class V sections with a lot of IV's to solid V's all the way down with up to 8 ft standing waves and huge holes everywhere.

I've run plenty of harder/steeper creeks, but there are some days that this creek just kicks peoples asses all over the place. Many boats have taken solo runs all the way to the Yampa's C-Hole and farther... thankfully none have been mine... I hate swimming! (knock on wood)

I love the Green, Big South, OBJ, and anything on Walden's Ridge, TN, but Fish Creek puts a smile on my face everytime I run it! That's what its all about. I'm going to Chile next month, so maybe I'll have a new favorite with the Rio Palguin, Fuy, or Futa, but who knows?!

Keep boating and keep smiling! ... and try not to swim!!!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #27
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
Source Check

Alright folks, it seems tom me that this whole Costa Rica thing is getting a little over hyped. Is it really that good, or are there other considerations?

Reason's to discredit Costa Rica
1) Cutch gave fossil creek 4 of 5 stars
2) Joe Keck enjoys running the Source
3) I suspect that Gary was involved in giving NSV 5 of 5 stars. (unconfirmed)

Let me do the rest of you a favor. Tear those pages out of your guide book and go to California. LOL
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #28
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Hey, never said CR beat Cali. For one Cali is probably about 3-4 times the size of CR. Not exactly a fair comparison. What I would argue is that CR is a world class paddling destination on par with other regions of it's size (durango, north carolina, seattle, etc). There are other considerations also...such as why Christian missed Alex's party and hence spent two weeks back East practicing his "game" on his sister instead of getting it done with Cutch and I.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #29
hotel & adventure /costa rica, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Skype™ to robertocacho
yo guys and girls out there! if you want to come to Costa Rica, I am a kayaker, own a little B&B 5 minutes from the airport, a 15 passenger Van and kayaks for rent, Hotel Mi Tierra, any time
robertocacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #30
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
Yea, I'm jealous I didn't get to go. For the record, I had a 100 page (not a typo) paper due the next week. No keg stands for me. By the way, my parents live in North Carolina, not Arkansas or Missouri. LOL

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote

class v