Old 12-13-2009   #11
Paddling Since: 96
One major consideration with the Green is that it has a valve at the top that lets it run reliably year round... just sayin.

The best class "5" creek for me is Sandy Stream in Maine. Most of it is really vert class 4 but its all Cali style exposed granite pool drop with a few slides and a little bebop thrown in. There are a few other readers of this board that know that gem.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #12
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Alkali Creek in Wolcott

JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #13
Turrialba is not necessarily the wrong town, the Chirripo Atlantico is nearby and it's the real deal.

But I think if I had to run 1 river for the rest of my life it would be the Little White. It's got everything and no hike.
Seriously Dude!
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #14
Keck and Gary E, you guys better post some pictures of this new mecca in CR that beats Cali. If the middle kings was in CR, halfway through the run, you would hit the ocean. Cool to hear CR has something other than overrated rivers. Post pics in this thread.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #15
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Ian, You should change this thread to what the best of Costa Rica is and then restart a thread on the best in the world.

If I had to guess, overnight, sick big water class V....Himalaya's. Tibet, Nepal, stuff running off Everest, China

Norway, Iceland, has big stuff, big drops, plenty of first D's. Africa of course. I hear Iran/Pakistan/middle east has some sick shit, but good luck going there in the next 1000 yrs.

everything outta my league. Though Iceland would be interesting.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #16
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think the green to southeastern boaters is the same as the big south is to colorado boaters.

A green boater can run the big south and say "so what, I've run better stuff" and a big south/colorado boater can run the green and say "so what, I've run better stuff" so the comparison is hard to make.

In the southeast - the green is definitely the river of choice. There are many other rivers here of much higher quality (raven fork, linville, toxaway, etc) but the people that run those rivers probably run the green at least 10x for every single run on one of those harder creeks. It's easy for us to take the green for granted, because it's always running (been always running high lately), but when everything is dried up around the se in the summer - it's a mecca.

My favorite run in colorado is pandora's box, followed by the vallecito, followed by obj. The Clark's Fork was pretty rediculously awesome - but A LOT of effort for a handful of good rapids - still worth it though - just make sure you bring enough water (I didn't).

If you're ever in the southeast and you want to run something a little better than the green, check out overflow creek in the chattooga drainage - it's twice as long and has much better/bigger rapids and it's probably easier than running all the rapids on the green, but a little harder than green light. Also, if you want to get scared, make sure you check out the raven fork and toxaway.

In the costa rica conversation - my favorite there is the pozo azul, but then again its the only big run i did while I was there.

As for the rest of the world, rio palguin in chile looks awesome.

This is a good thread - I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #17
Bugtussle, Kentucky
Another world-class class V run in the SE is the Russell Fork Gorge.
Yeah technically not a creek, but it sure seemed like creek boating to me at ELF levels.
I've never run it at full release but it seems to be a religion for thousands of boaters in October.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #18
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
So, not so well known. Demshitz runs it pretty regularly but Raymondskill Creek in Eastern PA is pretty sick.
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009   #19
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
Raymondskill and the Russel Fork would struggle to make the top 100 creeks in the country let alone the best in the world.

The whole "best creek" debate is very subjective. The answer depends so much on personal preferences.

I personally thought the Middle Kings was great, but I've talked to other people who disliked that stretch, and claimed they would not do it again.

I haven't kayaked much in foreign countries, but in terms of the United States the best day runs are probably the little white salmon or the south branch of the middle feather. The best self-support trips are probably upper cherry or middle fork of the feather (devils canyon).

I add another vote to the green being overrated; it was way to bouncy for my preferences. Just because it runs a lot doesn't make it world class.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #20
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The best V is not on this planet, but I promised them I wouldn't say anything if they would in turn promise not to use the anal probe.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

class v