Old 04-18-2008   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Best Camping along the Ark?

Where are the best spots to tent-out in the BV and Salida area? (criteria: cheap and available) I saw that the AHRA has some established campsites - are there usually spots open in May/June on a weekend or should one reserve in advance? Any prime parking lots to car camp in as a last ditch effort?

troy.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I don't exactly remember the name of the place nor the lake. I'm bad with that but if you take the road that goes west just opposite of one of the put in's for Pine Creek (there's a dam and a creek there). Drive up west and there are A LOT of campsites there. Rugged and all that. That's where I like to camp. However it's north of BV, not between BV and S.

BuckytheGREAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #3
B.V., Colorado
Bucky is talking about clear creek of the ark, primitive spots. Ruby Mountain, Hecla Junction, Railroad Bridge, are your AHRA pay spots with pit toilets(no H2O). Other than that their are a few private campgrounds, some up cottonwood pass, some non-pay if you bring a shitter, and lots of roads on 285 just east of B.V. to "crash". I don't think you can reserve AHRA sites,but I could be wrong.
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The "roads east of BV" have decent camping and are higher elevation so thery're cooler during the summer heat. Check out Mushroom Gulch road. As for needing a crapper, don't forget that you can also pick up really convenient wag bags (CKS may have them) for about $3 or $4 each to keep those nice primitive campsites from looking like trailer trash campsites.

If you've got a raft there are some riverside campsites on public lands on river left starting about a half mile below Ruby Mt. These are a great alternative to the AHRA zoos, ...uh, I mean fee campgrounds. Just remember that firepans and groover are required for river camping.

Happy camping,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Here's a link to the fee sites that you can reserve.

Find Campgrounds by Map, Browse - ReserveAmerica
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
It looked like there were some decent spots on the west side of Weston Pass. Lot a nice sites, some creekside, and free.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote